• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Original - mower deck Spindle Shaft removal

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolkp

Son, purchased a Original Cub mower deck to go with his Cub Original. It was in descent shape but needs to be repainted. Since he works 50-60 hrs a week thought I would help him.

Ran into issue of removing the "Spindle Shaft" #8 Bolt. I am afraid of breaking the "bearing housing" #30 so have the pulley puller on it really tight hoping PB Blaster and pressure finally loosen it (a). have gotten the shaft to move some but not enough to completely be able to punch the "key" #26 out so as to remove the "Blade drive Block" #27 (b). Don't want to use heat due to afraid of damaging the bearings (they seem to be fine that is why got this deck as apposed to the other decks the guy had for sale).

Any thoughts on removing shaft or do I need to look at cutting shaft at the "blade drive block" to get the housing off so can take more of the deck apart and end up buying new bearing and shaft etc.

IMG_A.jpg
IMG_B.jpg

\
Cub spindle bolt diagram.jpg

I wonder if a bearing separator might be a better tool for the job.
You may be able to get a loaner from Autozone.

speedway-home-tool-kits-39822-4f_1000.jpg

Son, purchased a Original Cub mower deck to go with his Cub Original. It was in descent shape but needs to be repainted. Since he works 50-60 hrs a week thought I would help him.

Ran into issue of removing the "Spindle Shaft" #8 Bolt. I am afraid of breaking the "bearing housing" #30 so have the pulley puller on it really tight hoping PB Blaster and pressure finally loosen it (a). have gotten the shaft to move some but not enough to completely be able to punch the "key" #26 out so as to remove the "Blade drive Block" #27 (b). Don't want to use heat due to afraid of damaging the bearings (they seem to be fine that is why got this deck as apposed to the other decks the guy had for sale).

Any thoughts on removing shaft or do I need to look at cutting shaft at the "blade drive block" to get the housing off so can take more of the deck apart and end up buying new bearing and shaft etc.

View attachment 136618View attachment 136619
\View attachment 136620
Once you get the key out of the Blade Drive Block (#27), just unscrew it and remove the spindle assembly

Once you get the key out of the Blade Drive Block (#27), just unscrew it and remove the spindle assembly

I have the spindle shaft just about far enough to get the key out to unscrew the block. i have even tried a punch to knock it out but not quiet there yet.

kmcconaughey - thanks for the manual pages - the part i am stuck at is the #9 drive the spindle shaft out

bjames - i have bearing separator mine not large enough so need to go to autozone and borrow one.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Last edited:
well guess soaking it with PB Blaster for a week worked, couple of smack with a hammer spindle shaft moved enough to get the block off, but as my luck have it the one bearing was shot. (n) :mad:

still need to get the one bearing off, so looks like will see about getting 4 and new spindle shaft, cant really see in picture but the bottom half is worn. found the below on another web page.

and have not clue what year the deck is, so may need to see if dealership knows. or doing some measuring and cross reference
*****looking a part man. closer it is an 60-61 deck

orig deck.JPG

Spindle Bearings:
464 347 R91 BEARING ASSY, (4) From 1960 - 1961, Order PKG, 470 849 R91
470 880 R91 BEARING ASSY, (4) From 1962 - 1963

IMG_3116.jpg

Last edited:
Unless those bearings are something really strange, googling the part number etched into one of the races should lead you to replacements.

Forgot to mention this deck that son got used, appears to be an early style (60-61/62), has triangle plate vs square.
The left spindle assembly has a spindle shaft that had a grease fitting. The right spindle is sold and the shaft is worn due to bearing failure.

so I am assuming that this deck has been worked on.

So are two different shaft interchangeable with the LH and RH pulleys???
comparing the two shafts they seem to be same size though i didn't use a micrometer.

The one manual show non grease fitting one Part 464-534-R1.

Another manual has this ----
#8 - - SHAFT, SPINDLE - 1960 TO 1961 464534-R1
#8 - SHAFT-SPINDLE - SHAFT, SPINDLE - 1962 TO 1963 IH-470883-R1

Thanks for all the replies.

spindle shaft.jpg

Cub spindle shafts.jpg

well been a crazy couple of months. hope all are well and staying safe.

in process of putting it back together. pictures to follow soon.

Another question on spindle shaft again how much should the shaft be sticking out past the blade block, flush, a little bit or does it matter as long as it is not out past the mower blade.

Thanks stay safe
1587397061595.png

Well been a long time since i have been on here. A lot going on even without this COVID p.ia. life style (hope all are doing well).
The mower deck was finished in back in April.

but do have a question. The deck upper link rod and clevis are too long and it prevents from hooking the deck to the mower properly.
wouldn't think there would be two different rod lengths with an original deck. But the Cub is a 1962 and the deck is a 1960/61, and there is a difference in the pulley support from 60/61 to 62 model decks

The rod is 8 1/2 inches long and the clevis is 3 1/2 inches long.
I have the deck everything else installed correctly deck support, mule, etc.

Thoughts?
i dont have any pictures of it hooked where it is rod is too long will try to get some after work today.
thanks.
4-2020 Cub Cadet original mower deck finished 002.JPG

10-2019 Cub Cadet original mower deck before.jpg

10-2020 upper link rod and clevis.jpg

Back