• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to IH Cub Cadet Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Tractor Wanted Cub Diesel

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw Kubota 3 cyl, and posted. Sorry.

I know it's a seller's market, but these tractors that look like they sat behind the wood shed for 20 years just seem over priced. There are a couple examples for 2500-3500 that I would be embarrassed to drive around the yard. I am all for restoring one for use. But, when you can see 500-1000 worth of parts needed in the photos there is not much meat left on the bones it seems.

Welcome to diesel Cub shopping for me.🙂

Add the additional complexities to the Diesel, and these used hard machines are even less of a deal. Most don't start well because they need starting system upgrades and glow plugs, and some parts are made from unobtainium.

The new gear reduction starter, glow plugs and relay will cost less than $150. The driveline will probably cost more to repair/replace.

I dont want to give out too much information because I want to be fair to the seller. On a tractor like below, I dont even know what a fair offer is.

The mower has not been run for several years, and both have sat outside for just as many years or more. I would love to take an ugly duckling like this and restore it with my young son to get him involved, but I also dont want to have 5 or 6k in a 30 year old tractor either I guess. It does have lower hours, around 500, so hoping with minimal maintenance over the years the power train "should" be solid.

Am I just being cheap here? Be honest :). I just dont see them in great condition fetching a lot of money anymore. Ones that are in turn key and presentable condition only seem to be valued/sold at around 3k.

The way I see it, in the best of worlds it needs:
  • Muffler,
  • Tunnel Cover
  • Dash (current one is cracked through indicator light areas)
  • Mower and snow blower sandblasted and repainted
  • Tractor stripped/prepped and painted
  • Hood cleaned up and polished (not sure how to even do that part yet)
  • All mower belts and bearings replaced (from sitting in the weather)
It does have new tires all the way around with new wheel weights and chains.

1647434554089.png

What is the asking price?

Oops I typed all that up and missed that part.

Its listed at 2900, I think he would take 2500 though. I am not certain, I have not haggled much because I dont know where is fair for both honestly.

It has also been for sale for going on 4 months. I think that speaks a good bit about the value proposition of it.

The real question is "what's it worth to you?". If it's something you're going to go through every bit and piece, replace parts as needed, refurbish to near or better than new, make it a piece of equipment that you will never part with and pass on to your kids, then price really doesn't play a big factor as I see it. It never fails, you'll always find a heck of a deal right after you purchase...so goes the way of the world. Basically, if you are willing to invest the time and money over a certain amount of time, the comfort of knowing everything was done and done right will ease the sting your wallet takes. Plus, being in Cambria County, that snowblower will definitely earn it's keep. 👍😎👍

Then again, you may purchase a headache that just won't go away...🤪

Does "for sale for 4 months" set off any alarms for anyone else? It sounds to me like he is firm on price, or there is something about the machine that scares off buyers.

Does "for sale for 4 months" set off any alarms for anyone else? It sounds to me like he is firm on price, or there is something about the machine that scares off buyers.

Yeah I am not sure, he is a nice guy to talk to. My wife is continuing to push for something new, I knew I married the right CFO.

Her argument is if you get 1/3 the cost of a new one tied up in something 25 plus years old did you actually win. My answer is if it lasts a long time and works yes, otherwise probably not.

I have not see this tractor, or have any opinion directly on the purchase of it. However, one thing to keep in mind about "it's been for sale for 4 months", comes from my personal experience. I had a Ford Diesel Pickup for sale. It was listed on Marketplace, with a list of strengths and flaws, and a reasonable price (with an OBO) for the condition of the truck. In this case, I was asking $1,500 OBO. I had numerous people contact me, with the 1st question being "Will you take $600 for it". I would respond no, that I am looking to get more than that out of he truck (there were several that came with that $600 question). Either they would just dissapear, or some actuly got hateful in there responses that I was stupid, or "you will never get that much for that piece of s**t" and similar responses. I think this truck was for sale for 4 or 5 weeks at least (around here, at that time, it was not unusual for vehicles to sell in a few hours after being listed) and I was contacted a few times during that time frame, and they either flaked on showing, or passed on it after coming out. I did finally have someone contact me, show up when they said they would, and actually brought CASH with them (you would be surprised how many people wanted to "bring the money back later").... took the truck for a drive, asked some questions and made a offer that was within my range, we shook hands, exchanged cash and title, and we both left happy. It could be it has been for sale for months, because of stuff like this.

Seems high to me, I believe most people dont know what they are looking at with these old Cubs, ( Not members here , just people that dont care what they mow with ) And most people dont want to work on something old. And most people would rather go to Lowes and drop 2500 on a new throw away mower. Just my . 02 $ but in the end its your $ and life is short . :) And i'm cheap :shhhh:

Last edited:
Seems high to me, I believe most people dont know what they are looking at with these old Cubs, ( Not members here , just people that dont care what they mow with ) And most people dont want to work on something old. And most people would rather go to Lowes and drop 2500 on a new throw away mower. Just my . 02 $ but in the end its your $ and life is short . :)

Do you have any idea what you think a fair offer would be? Obviously he doesn't have to agree just curious.

as stated earlier -what is it worth to you? if you are looking for a flip "these are not the droids you're looking for" Sooo,
as far as your review of the 2182 -you are probably right on. I would offer what you think its worth. if you are not happy with the price you wont feel better about it later. If he is not happy with the price he wont sell. you both should be happy with the deal.
I have said this before, but, I buy the best tractor I can afford then as I figure out what I want to add I have bought other tractors to get 3pt's PTO's, front Hydraulics, cabs, front end loaders, 2000rpm tillers, belly and rear decks the list goes on. I do this for fun plus it keeps me out of my wife's business!

not to change the subject . but there is a 782D front hydraulics and rear 3 pt in washingtin nj on FB $2750 obo it is prettier but no deck or snowblower...those are readily available.

as stated earlier -what is it worth to you? if you are looking for a flip "these are not the droids you're looking for" Sooo,
as far as your review of the 2182 -you are probably right on. I would offer what you think its worth. if you are not happy with the price you wont feel better about it later. If he is not happy with the price he wont sell. you both should be happy with the deal.
I have said this before, but, I buy the best tractor I can afford then as I figure out what I want to add I have bought other tractors to get 3pt's PTO's, front Hydraulics, cabs, front end loaders, 2000rpm tillers, belly and rear decks the list goes on. I do this for fun plus it keeps me out of my wife's business!

not to change the subject . but there is a 782D front hydraulics and rear 3 pt in washingtin nj on FB $2750 obo it is prettier but no deck or snowblower...those are readily available.

This would likely not be a quick flip but rather a long term keeper to do some mowing and work. Due to that, price is somewhat less of an issue. I love taking something that looks and works terrible and make it look pretty good and function even better. I have done some cars, golf carts, Pasquali tractor etc. People who haven't done it I feel like don't have any clue how much time it can take. Between the labor and parts hunting it can get extensive as many here know for sure.

What snicklas said...there's a lot, a LOT of unreasonable, ridiculous people on FB Marketplace (where this one is advertised). And don't forget the scrappers and traders. I had a work car for sale on there for a whole year. 2003 Hyundai Elantra...nothing special, but a good runner. Post clearly stated "$1,000 FIRM". I had replaced axles, brakes all around, clutch cylinder (and it had a new clutch to go with it - just hadn't been installed). Overall, the car was in pretty good shape. I was BOMBARDED with offers of "$250, ca$h in your hand today!!", the "I have a ______ worth $2,000 I'll trade you even up". And yes, those that get jacked because you don't say "yes" to their ridiculous offer. 🤬
I eventually sold it to a good kid who showed up and we drove it around...I even taught him how to "speed shift" 😎
FB gets the most views, and in that regard it's also where you deal with the most BS, so, due to my own experiences, I'm not too bothered with the amount of time it's been listed on FB. But that doesn't mean a red flag shouldn't be considered...

Also, I saw that ad on FB as well. Here in Cubsylvania, there are cubs almost everywhere you look, and usually pretty cheap. Unless one knew exactly what they were looking at, just browsing through...the price would make them pass on to the next.

Latest posts

Back