• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet with hydraulic lift

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john.knutson

displayname
John K
Howdy.

I've pretty much decided that I need an IH Cub with hydro lift. My brief research shows that you can get the ported charge pump on the Wide Frame 149/169, and then on Quietline 1450/1650 (and maybe some 1250s?). EDIT: looks like some of the *82 series may have hydraulics, but I didn't find as much info on them.

Does any one model stand above the others with regards to aux hydraulics? I would like to stick with an IH built Cub. I didn't see any hydro pumps with aux ports on eBay/Craigslist, so I haven't done much research into retrofitting my 107, but that is an option as well.

Any of those you mention would have had factory hydraulic lifts except the 1250 as it was optional on it. The 169 was supposed to have factory hydraulic lift but there was a time during its production run when the parts were not available and a bunch shipped with manual lift. If you are looking for auxiliary ports they were available as options on them. The 82 series I believe the 782 and 982 would have had factory hydraulic lift with auxiliary ports as options. My preference would be a 149 or a 1450, but that's me, I guess I'd be OK with a 782 as well. I have a 1450 with the auxillary ports that needs some work that I need to get going some day. Not presently for sale as my daughter might want/need it.

Any of those you mention would have had factory hydraulic lifts except the 1250 as it was optional on it. The 169 was supposed to have factory hydraulic lift but there was a time during its production run when the parts were not available and a bunch shipped with manual lift. If you are looking for auxiliary ports they were available as options on them. The 82 series I believe the 782 and 982 would have had factory hydraulic lift with auxiliary ports as options. My preference would be a 149 or a 1450, but that's me, I guess I'd be OK with a 782 as well. I have a 1450 with the auxillary ports that needs some work that I need to get going some day. Not presently for sale as my daughter might want/need it.
Thanks for the info! There is a 149 for sale near me that has me seriously thinking about where I might put my 107 to make room for it.

John, I gave you a bit of wrong info. The 149 and 169 did not have front auxiliary hydraulic ports available as an option. Sorry about that. They were available for the1250, 1450, 1650, 782 and 982 as an option though. Soooo, if you want/need the front auxiliary ports, I'd look for a 1450 or 782.

You could always fabricate the setup to add front ports to a 149... I believe it has been done before.

Last edited:
This is a 782 with the dual leavers for the hydraulic system with front ports. 782 cub 012.JPG

I have a 1450 with the auxillary ports that needs some work that I need to get going some day

Wouldn't you know it, but some hydro lift parts from a 1250 found me, and should be here Thursday. I have been looking over the manual for adding the lift to a 169, as well as the parts breakouts for a 1450 on cubcadet.com. I think I get the gist of how it is setup on each machine, but if you happen to have any pictures of hydro lift setups installed, and/or pics of the front aux ports, they might be very helpful to me! I don't know exactly what questions or challenges I will encounter, but I am pretty excited for the challenge.

I still want to get my steering wheel off (finally got myself a bolt style wheel puller), and split the tractor in preparation for parts arriving.

Does anybody happen to have a PDF of the parts diagram for the 1250/1450/1650?I found a PDF of the Service Manual which is handy, and I can see the parts diagrams online, but it's nice to have a printed copy for reference when I'm out in the garage.

John, are you planning on adding the 1250 lift parts to your 107? If so, keep in mind that the 107 is a narrow frame and the 1250 is a wide frame. There's not much space in the frame of the 107 to fit the hydraulic lift parts in. Or did you find a wide frame Cub? I will check to see what I have for photos that I can post of 1250/1450 Cubs with hydraulic lifts. I believe I have a printed copy of the parts manuals that covers most of the Cub Cadets from the Original through the Quiet Line series. I would have to scan the pages that cover the 1450, I'll try to remember to dig the parts manual out this evening. I do have this photo of the front hydraulic ports on my 1450.

1450 Front Ports.jpg

Thanks!

I still have the narrow frame 107, I am thinking I might try to mount it outside of the frame, sort of like the optional kit for the 169. I really am not sure how much work this will be, if it's even possible, but the parts were the right price, I was just looking for the ported pump to start with and the whole wide frame setup appeared.

This is what the narrow frame hydro lift setup looks like.
This one is on a 3 speed model. I was thinking about putting in on my model 73.
I’m not sure if I’ll be getting around to it.
remember your rockshaft will have to be modified too. The ones that came from the factory had the modifications.

Attachments

• 9F6F9B5E-3901-4A70-8D0D-E1BE916FD673.jpeg
    9F6F9B5E-3901-4A70-8D0D-E1BE916FD673.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 534
  • 82DC864A-CE20-4631-832C-1F4F391F569C.png
    82DC864A-CE20-4631-832C-1F4F391F569C.png
    643 KB · Views: 490
This is what the narrow frame hydro lift setup looks like.
This one is on a 3 speed model. I was thinking about putting in on my model 73.
I’m not sure if I’ll be getting around to it.
remember your rockshaft will have to be modified too. The ones that came from the factory had the modifications.
Thanks! My rock shaft is already "modified" (I had to fabricate the part that the plow lift hooks on to), so further abuse of that part should be no problem. I was toying with the idea of keeping it separate from the rockshaft altogether and directly linking it to the plow blade or another intermediate linkage.

John, here are some photos of a 1450 that is partially disassembled where you can see the hydraulic lift setup. The photos were taken by forum member Chris Bennett of one of his Cubs.

1450_Hydraulics_01.jpg

1450_Hydraulics_02.jpg

1450_Hydraulics_03.jpg

1450_Hydraulics_04.jpg

1450_Hydraulics_05.jpg

1450_Hydraulics_06.jpg

1450_Hydraulics_07.jpg

Parts arrived a couple of days ago, and I got my tractor split. Next steps are:
  • remove flex shaft mount bracket from old pump
  • draining hydro fluid
  • swap hydro pump+motor+filter
  • fill with fluid
  • reassemble tractor
I am thinking I should run the new pump and motor without aux hookups to ensure I've got everything dialed in. I can then start doing pressure tests and think about routing and mounting stuff.
IMG_20200130_165608.jpg
IMG_20200130_165554.jpg

IMG_20200130_225914.jpg

I have made some progress since these pictures, mostly just cleaning parts and I did get the driveshaft off down to the part that mounts on the pump. That might need the puller or some more penetrating oil.

The "part that mounts on the pump" is held on with a Spirol pin (coiled roll pin) You will want to support it when you drive the pin out. Best way is to cut a piece of that 4x4 you have there, to a length that will fit under the shaft. Drill a hole in the end of it for the roll pin to drive into. Oh, and you'll need to remove the filter. Too bad you don't live a wee bit closer, I'd lend you my Pin Tool...
Pin Tool_01.jpg
Pin Tool_02.jpg
Pin Tool_03.jpg

The "part that mounts on the pump" is held on with a Spirol pin (coiled roll pin) You will want to support it when you drive the pin out. Best way is to cut a piece of that 4x4 you have there, to a length that will fit under the shaft. Drill a hole in the end of it for the roll pin to drive into. Oh, and you'll need to remove the filter. Too bad you don't live a wee bit closer, I'd lend you my Pin Tool...View attachment 136807View attachment 136808View attachment 136809
I had seen those tools, but wouldn't you know my impatience/boredom got the best of me and I worked it out with a hammer and punch. I did try to support the shaft and didn't wail on it too hard, so hopefully I didn't ruin anything. This is coming off the old pump, but I do want to keep it in good condition to use down the road or sell.

Would the same tool be used to install the pin? Admittedly I am not looking at the service manual which probably covers that...

Too bad you don't live a wee bit closer, I'd lend you my Pin Tool
Funny you say that. I believe you mentioned working in the 280 & University area, I was just at my mother's house right in that area last night for the super bowl :) I only make it over there on the weekends, though.

Funny you say that. I believe you mentioned working in the 280 & University area, I was just at my mother's house right in that area last night for the super bowl :) I only make it over there on the weekends, though.

Yep, the company I work at is off of Westgate Drive, near 280 and University. That tool is a patented tool designed and made by a forum member, known around here as KENtuckyKEN. He only made a limited number of them I was lucky enough to be able to snap one up. He doesn't post much if at all anymore, but he emails me now and then. I just heard from him today in fact. If I recall it's only for pressing the pin out.

Back