• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet Wheel Chock

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my "specific exceptions" included the 482, 580, 582 special, and 1100 (which had the Peerless transaxle), but I also read up on some variations in the QL series and in the IH built 82 series machines. Other than that, they used the disc brakes all the way up to the Cyclops tractors.

I also have the rear end with the internal brakes on my 1450 parts tractor.
Mine with the internal brakes is a 1977 model. Must be someone in the engineering department felt the internal brake setup had an advantage over the external brakes that they had switched to for a handful of years?

It is very hard to change it in a hydro, prolly why they put external brakes on the later models. You have to drain the fluid, remove the pump, then the top plate, then knock out the plug that acesses the input shaft, then the axles, differential, yadda yadda yadda. More than likely the the brake rod and o ring are froze up.
I added some pictures so you can see what a PITA it is change them. The parts breakdown is shown. There is no mention changing them in the service manual.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 127
  • unnamed n.jpg
    unnamed n.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 128
  • unnamedmm.jpg
    unnamedmm.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 118
It is very hard to change it in a hydro, prolly why they put external brakes on the later models. You have to drain the fluid, remove the pump, then the top plate, then knock out the plug that acesses the input shaft, then the axles, differential, yadda yadda yadda. More than likely the the brake rod and o ring are froze up.
I added some pictures so you can see what a PITA it is change them. The parts breakdown is shown. There is no mention changing them in the service manual.
I am thinking that this was another one of those situations where international harvester probably wasn't expecting these machines to still be around and in use after 40-50 years and probably weren't expecting that internal brake design to ever need servicing.

Back