Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

Cub Cadet Wheel Chock

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
My August 1975, 1450 has the external disc brakes.

JPrattico

displayname
Cubcadet_107
Well, my "specific exceptions" included the 482, 580, 582 special, and 1100 (which had the Peerless transaxle), but I also read up on some variations in the QL series and in the IH built 82 series machines. Other than that, they used the disc brakes all the way up to the Cyclops tractors.

kweimann

displayname
Kenny Weimann
all the Quiet Lines I've owned all had disc brakes.

Allenpatterson

displayname
Al Pat
I also have the rear end with the internal brakes on my 1450 parts tractor.
Mine with the internal brakes is a 1977 model. Must be someone in the engineering department felt the internal brake setup had an advantage over the external brakes that they had switched to for a handful of years?

lpalma

displayname
Lewis Palma
It is very hard to change it in a hydro, prolly why they put external brakes on the later models. You have to drain the fluid, remove the pump, then the top plate, then knock out the plug that acesses the input shaft, then the axles, differential, yadda yadda yadda. More than likely the the brake rod and o ring are froze up.
I added some pictures so you can see what a PITA it is change them. The parts breakdown is shown. There is no mention changing them in the service manual.

Attachments

Allenpatterson

displayname
Al Pat
It is very hard to change it in a hydro, prolly why they put external brakes on the later models. You have to drain the fluid, remove the pump, then the top plate, then knock out the plug that acesses the input shaft, then the axles, differential, yadda yadda yadda. More than likely the the brake rod and o ring are froze up.
I added some pictures so you can see what a PITA it is change them. The parts breakdown is shown. There is no mention changing them in the service manual.
I am thinking that this was another one of those situations where international harvester probably wasn't expecting these machines to still be around and in use after 40-50 years and probably weren't expecting that internal brake design to ever need servicing.

Latest posts