• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet starts, runs 2 minutes, stops

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dballi

displayname
Donald Balli
I have replaced plug, points, condenser and coil. Tractor starts and runs normal, then runs rough and stalls. Tractor will restart but repeats stalls in less then a minute.

The battery voltage jumps around between 12 and 4 volts. The + side of the coil drops to 0 voltage when it stops.
I have disconnect the positive cable of the battery after I start keeping a jumper wire down to the coil to eliminate any other components causing a possible problems.

After starting the only components in play are the battery; only connected to ground and the positive only to the jumper wire to the coil, the coil, condenser, points and plug wire and plug.
I believe I have a slight restriction in the fuel cap vent but not that doesn't explains the battery voltage issue.

I would appreciate any help as I try fix this. I'm at a loss as to what is causing this.

First off, the 105 is a garden tractor, your post should be that section, the uppermost one in the topics menu.

That aside, this Sounds like it's fuel related.
Drain and flush the tank, clean the sediment bowl, it should have one. Make sure the cap vent is not plugged.
Make sure you have a clean constant fuel flow from the tank, to and out of the sediment bowl.
Is the carb set to spec's in regard to high and low speed idle?
With proper timing, good spark and fuel it should pop off in the first couple rev's of the starter.

David -
If he's got 0 volts at the coil when it dies, it might not be a fuel problem. Should always have ~12vdc there with the key in the "run" position.

Have you checked that the grounds are all good?

Guess I missed that part Dave...
Could be key switch also I suppose
You know, loose/ corroded/dirty connections etc.
Did this cub run alright before and just now started acting up??

Don -
Where are you checking the voltage at when it's bouncing around? On the coil? Or at the battery cable?

If it's electrical, the key thing to figure out is why the coil is losing voltage.

Sounds like you've isolated the key switch from the circuit when you disconnected the battery and ran a jumper down to the coil. Did it still show 0v when it quit running after you did that? Did you disconnect the wire from the ignition switch to the coil when you did that, or was it still hooked up to the ignition switch? Wondering if there could be a short somewhere. As Dave suggested, those key switch/connectors are frequent causes of problems. I'd be focused on the wiring to the switch and the switch itself.

If it's not electrical, then Dave's fuel suggestion is spot on.

Back