• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

cub cadet restore

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchapel

displayname
deryl chapel
Well I have to put the starter relay back on, the old battery 12.5 volts but only getting 9.5 volts at the starter. So I went and put relay back on. its getting 12 volts at starter it works great with old battery. Now I am trying to find what generator will up grade charging system , the old 1 will not charge the battery good with all the lights I want to run.

Attachments

• 20210329_182629.jpg
    20210329_182629.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 155
Deryl, are those lights LED? if they are old school style, changing to LED could reduce the charging need considerably.

The stock Kubota alternator is rated 14 amps at full throttle. That is more than adequate to supply the needs of a garden tractor. Check ALL connections for corrosion or loose wires. Some guys have converted the Kubota voltage regulator to the simpler Kohler unit as pictured.

kubotacharge.jpg

thank
The stock Kubota alternator is rated 14 amps at full throttle. That is more than adequate to supply the needs of a garden tractor. Check ALL connections for corrosion or loose wires. Some guys have converted the Kubota voltage regulator to the simpler Kohler unit as pictured.

View attachment 146579
thank you

Voltage regulator is built in to alternator. Requires (1) wire 10 gauge , back to battery. No other wiring required. Probably have to modify mounting brackets for belt alignment, belt adjustment, etc. it has been my “Go to” charging system on many things over the years. Simple, very effective, dependable.

Neil,
Agree GM 10si alternator is a great goto alternator replacement.

But in this case, this Kubota alternator is only about 4 or 5 inch diameter in a tight spot. The Kubota D600 3-cylinder diesel engine is installed backwards on these Cubs where the flywheel is up front to drive the PTO and the crank pulley drives the hydro transmission.

May be able to replace the fan belt tensioner with 10si or a larger NipponDenso alternator.

Agree the best solution is to replace incandescent lamps with Para 36 direct replacement LED lamps. I am looking at replacing my lamps with LED since OEM alternator could not keep up with electric PTO clutch engaged and head lamps on at the same time at night.

Bob G.

I have seen a few of the short wheelbase non Supers for sale on Facebook Marketplace. Most are north of $2k for units with horrible cosmetics, and poor electrical systems. I guess I will have to pay the piper if I want one bad enough-preferably a red 782D, but will consider all.

The PTO on these Cubs draw 4-5 amps upon engagement. The PAR36 size 35 watt OEM incandescent bulbs draw almost 3 amps each for a total of roughly 11 amps draw with the headlamps and PTO in use.

Thanks Bob, I have never seen a diesel Cub in person.
I had no idea how tight the area of the alternator is, but suspected it was close quarters.
Building a 1 wire 10si is pretty easy & inexpensive if you can find a used one cheap. I imagine that 8 out of 10 that don’t charge is due to a bad regulator or diode trio, or brushes..

The PTO on these Cubs draw 4-5 amps upon engagement. The PAR36 size 35 watt OEM incandescent bulbs draw almost 3 amps each for a total of roughly 11 amps draw with the headlamps and PTO in use.

I will have to verify my amp draw but I normal run my 782D at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle for fuel economy. The Cub#2 in photo above has wire harness issues. Believe broken BAT+ wire near the circuit breaker.

I have seen a few of the short wheelbase non Supers for sale on Facebook Marketplace. Most are north of $2k for units with horrible cosmetics, and poor electrical systems. I guess I will have to pay the piper if I want one bad enough-preferably a red 782D, but will consider all.

I have two 782D Cubs. Found Cub#1 on CL an hour away back in 2004 with 50c mower and paid exactly 2K. Cub#2 was given to me about five years ago because he was going to scrap it (frustrated with electrical/starting issues). Put about $400 into it bring it to my spec.

Interesting to see using a Koehler VR in place of the Kubota VR.

Back