• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

cub cadet 72

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will bradshaw

I inherited a 1968 cub cadet 72 from my great uncle who bought it new. i have completely restored it and added most of the factory options to it. but i have ran into a problem. my starter generator was not charging at all so i went into pasco and they rebuilt it and when they rebuilt it they beefed up the coils in it for more charge since i am going to be running a few electrical implements. when i got the starter back i hooked everything back up and when i hit the key it will turn over slowly an then stop almost like there is too much compression in the motor but the compression release is working properly ive even tried to jump start the tractor but nothing chnages. [ i will add that sometime in the late 70's my uncle had it "repowered" with a 12hp k301 engine] i am thinking that my solenoid in the dash tower has gone bad since i have checked wiring diagrams and have a brand new battery. any suggestions would help greatly!!

I put new field coils in a starter generator that acted just like that a little more than a year ago. did you jump start straight to the starter ?

If you look up my thread HARD TO START 149 , I show that the charging side of the field had a short in it which made it gutless and not charge .

So this morning I’ve been working on it again and I’ve tested the starter and everything is working as it should. But I did check the voltage that the starter was getting and when it would turn it was getting around 11volts but when it would stop turning over (while still holding the key switch) it would only get 9-10 volts

Well I spoke too soon. After running for a while she started running bad acting like the points were out of adjustment I shut it down and after letting it cool off I checked the points and the plastic on the points had melted causing them not to spark. Any suggestions?

A couple of things can happen . the resistance through the secondary winding should read around 3 ohms. if it happens to be a coil set up for an external resistor everything will tend to run hot . If the coil wire was loose or dirty at the points more heat then melted terminal nut . a loose points spring can then ground out by rubbing on the bracket.

how would i test the ohms? ive always had horrible luck when it comes to electric ignition systems lol. when i had the gen rebuilt i had them replace the stock coils in it to 30 amp to get more juice out of it. could that have anything to do with it?

I have not heard about 30 amp field coils for these tractors. new Regulators are really junk . Our local re-builder doesn't order ones made in mexico and the usa ones he got me say made in india .

This is a picture of the old one I took when I started restoring it and this is the one that I found on Amazon that is on it now

Attachments

• 0EE9C5CD-218C-4817-AE52-263CDD4E680F.jpeg
    0EE9C5CD-218C-4817-AE52-263CDD4E680F.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 135
  • F905E546-9A4D-422B-8E7F-952B3D6BCAB6.jpeg
    F905E546-9A4D-422B-8E7F-952B3D6BCAB6.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 135
Digger is right on by wanting to see the pics as they are different regulators.

The one one the right is the same one on my 106.

Back