• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub cadet 55 rear engine rider

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 55 rear engine rider with the 5 horse Briggs engine and trying to get it running Someone disconnected the three wires to the engine. One is off the ignition condenser and it looks like one is off the transmission and the other off the ignition switch. Are the grounded to the engine together or separated with a block of bake light somehow? Thanks

Duane, if this engine has points and cond. it will run(if its all set correctly) by unhooking the kill wire to the ignition switch.The older 5 briggs are self contained units,they make their own spark from coil and flywheel magnet. Unhooked there is no way to kill engine except full choke or pull plug wire. To begin you must prove spark is happening...The wire to trans might be a neutral switch safety.Most safety switches are continuing ground back thru switch....Removing shroud gives access to coil so kill wire can be removed from bottom of coil to test for spark....it's a pull start so there is no charging system.....wire to cond.has me baffled I'm not sure what or where you mean ???

cub55.jpg

Later Briggs engines used their "Magnetron" ignition, which was a pointless magneto ignition, unlike your current points magneto..Some valuable info here:

I put the magnetron conversion on my 85 special which is the unit I mow with. Spark is strong and it starts almost instantly. I highly recommend doing so. There unfortunately is no conversion for the old tecumseh engines on the model 60.

I got mine from a local dealer but Amazon sells them. Be sure and use the model number stamped on the blower housing. There are several you tube videos on how to do this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220324-174645_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220324-174645_Chrome.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 36
Back