• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 3240

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knolte

displayname
Ken Nolte
Relatively new guy here looking for information on the mower shown above. I ran across one recently that I think can be had for a song. It belongs to a family member and has suffered a fair number of years of neglect but is complete. Not so much abuse as just the use it as long as it runs mentality. I think it can still be a decent mower and it does have the 60" deck so I would add it to my fleet and use it on my yard. Any thoughts or things to know that are not apparent? I think it was built by MTD which I am not keen on but it happened. I will admit that part of the fascination for this one is that it is a one year only mower with the appropriate markings.

The 3240 is a good machine. Some did have issues with internal bolts coming loose in the rear and destroying the case but there is a fix for that. It will have a CI rear with locking differential. All attachments are shaft driven which in my opinion is a lot better design than a mule drive setup. The drive line is better built than anything before it requiring little if any maintenance. I don't have a 60" deck but I do have the 54" & 48" on a few of my 3000 series machines. Once you mow with a foot controlled hydro you won't wanna go back to anything else, + they will give a better cut then any other Cub Cadet built. The decals are NLA but a few people have made replica's of the original ones. Chrome hub caps came standard on it also.
Here is a pic of mine that I redid a few years back but never used it and I sold it.
DSCN1744.JPG

Nice looking tractor. Like everyone, Over my years I have owned a few limited year production vehicles a time or two. I sold my last one (Moto Guzzi) a few years ago. I happened across this tractor while visiting my sister and they have had trouble with it. Most of the problems have been due to lack of maintenance and neglect. I just thought it was a good looking tractor and the fact it is a shaft drive mower helps a lot. It is not on par with my JD 420s but it just looks like a decent mower and interesting piece.

Just curious, if I were to pursue getting this tractor is there a place to determine what the production numbers were for this model? In no way do I think it will be a valuable tractor but more just a point of interest in getting a one year model.

Who built this tractor? I grew up on IH tractors and recall the days in the 60s when the small town dealers usually had a new Cub Cadet in the shop to sell. I had read IH sold off some parts of the company and that was one of them. Who builds the Cubs of today?

IH sold off the Cub Cadet line in 1981 to CCC (Cub Cadet Corporation) which was and is owned by MTD. MTD still builds them.

Back