• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 2185 for the dogs

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akehl

displayname
Andy
My wife and I bought a used Cub Cadet 2185 for the local humane society - just for the dogs. Used it a couple of times. I don’t think there is too much wrong, but it won’t run.

• This problem started with a loose ignition switch. When the operator would try to start the mower, the entire switch would turn.
• The wires on the back of the switch became disconnected from the switch
• Using a wiring diagram from Cub Cadet.com, I’ve reattached the connections (I believe these are correct.)
• On the dash, the lights will come on, but the starter won’t engage.
• It’s like the blades are on, or the operator is not pushing down the brake pedal, or the operator is not sitting on the seat and due to safety switches, the mower won’t start. (This is my assumption.)
Any ideas? THANKS for suggestions.

Andy, welcome to the Forum.

A couple of comments, (1) I'm not sure if your question belongs here or in the CCC/MTD section, since Parts Lookup lists it under a sub-heading of "Tractor 2000" under its heading of "Series 2000" rather than under its "Lawn Tractor" heading. You might try posting your same question in that space, or a moderator may stop by and inform us as to its proper place.

(2) I notice that there are three (3) different serial number breakdowns for the Model 2185, each with a different electrical schematic. Do you know the serial number of your tractor?

Finally, as regards your current problem. Both the symptoms you mention (blades engaged, foot not on brake) are controlled by the PTO switch on almost every Cub Cadet I know with those features. That is, the blades must be off (PTO Switch in the OFF position) AND the brake switch depressed before the starter solenoid can be engaged. In electro-speak, the PTO switch OFF contacts and the brake switch are in series with the ignition key and the starter solenoid. So . . . I would be sure to check all the wires at the PTO switch as well as the PTO switch itself. To verify the switch, remove it and "Ohm it out" to see if it makes the contacts as given in the appropriate wiring diagram. Next, be sure the brake switch is operating. Finally, be sure the solenoid hasn't failed and that the starter actually works by jumping 12 volts first to the solenoid "IGN" contact, and if that doesn't work, put battery power directly to the starter. If the starter works, but not the solenoid, be sure to clean the ground connections on both the solenoid and the tractor and re-test to see if IGN power will fire the solenoid.

Well, I'm getting ahead of myself. I think the best mode of attack is to verify the solenoid and starter are working before spending any more time on the safety circuit. The other component to verify is the ignition switch itself, and your connections to it. Again, remove it and Ohm it out, then re-connect it per the wiring diagram. I drove a tractor for over a year with a mis-wired ignition switch before it dawned on me that I had perhaps introduced a problem the tractor didn't have before.
smile.gif

I have a similar problem with starting my 2185. when I turn the key (foot is on the brake and sitting on the seat) it sometimes will not crank. If I return the key to the off position then try starting again it will crank but not until I do this with the key a few times. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Back