• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 1863 Kohler 18HP Engine Overheating with white smoke

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok...will stop by TSC after work to see if they have in store. Thanks!
I picked up exact kit, and lightly coated green foam cover and slipped it over new air filter. But when I was tightening cover down, it wasn't going down all the way, as I could see inside all around. I wish I had noticed it earlier, but I pulled old filter out of trash to find that the new filter was taller. I thought maybe I grabbed the wrong kit, but doubled checked and it was correct and also found on my engine it is Kohler Command 18S. I doubt TSC will swap filter since I can't return green foam along with it, after rubbing light coat of oil over it. Just my luck that kit would have wrong size air filter in it.

CH18S should be what you have, that is what is in my 1864 (same as yours but with couple extras). It's the correct kit...👍😎👍
The engine is a Command 18S, so why would I have the wrong size air filter, which was right diameter, but taller than existing one and couldn't seat cover afterwards. Do I have to worry about oil filter possibly being wrong type too and causing issues please? If this kit also works with Command 18S, why wouldn't kit list it? Hoping TSC will swap air filter with what I need.

Manual says SAE 10W-30, so does it have to be Cub Cadet brand, as I read it contains higher zinc levels to help cool engine or can I also use regular automotive SAE 10W-30?
Had earlier issue with engine overheating, white smoke and Low Oil Pressure light on. Engine would shutdown 15-20 seconds after starting. I replaced Oil Pressure Sensor, which fixed issue shutting down, however engine still gets hot. After removing massive mouse nest, I had hoped it would have fixed overheating issue. I did notice small Oil area on right-side of engine and little bit of white smoke coming out of breather. Is it possible the overheating caused the leak? I don't have any Oil accumulating anywhere. Attaching pics to help with what I'm talking about...View attachment 150337View attachment 150338
You got to clean out all the fins and remove all tin covers to do it right, the over heating may have got you head gasket damaged, and a upper ring landing cracked, you have to keep the fins blowed out after the first good clean out !!!! To keep the engine temp in the working temp range, and keep any air screens cleaned out !!!!

Try not to use automotive oil in small air cooled engines. Oil for these small engines should be low ash, and has proper additives for heat and wear. the proper recommended oil does not cost a lot more. Main thing is that it is full, and changed at the proper intervals. Also use quality oil filters.

You got to clean out all the fins and remove all tin covers to do it right, the over heating may have got you head gasket damaged, and a upper ring landing cracked, you have to keep the fins blowed out after the first good clean out !!!! To keep the engine temp in the working temp range, and keep any air screens cleaned out !!!!
You are correct......during process of replacing both head gaskets, I had discovered engine cowling tightly packed with mouse nest. After removing nest and installing new head gaskets, engine no longer overheated and could actually feel air circulating from engine running. Now I have traps all around my cub hoping to prevent this from happening again! Thanks

Try not to use automotive oil in small air cooled engines. Oil for these small engines should be low ash, and has proper additives for heat and wear. the proper recommended oil does not cost a lot more. Main thing is that it is full, and changed at the proper intervals. Also use quality oil filters.
Thanks and yes, after replacing head gaskets and cleaning out mouse nest from around engine cowling, I picked up proper engine oil below, from TSC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221020-080237_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221020-080237_Gallery.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 0
You are correct......during process of replacing both head gaskets, I had discovered engine cowling tightly packed with mouse nest. After removing nest and installing new head gaskets, engine no longer overheated and could actually feel air circulating from engine running. Now I have traps all around my cub hoping to prevent this from happening again! Thanks
1666268539940.gif

Dad was an Ol WWII Burma HellCat from H-Company and we alway keep Several King Blacks they are bull snakes that are quick to spot, His Raters, along with two Collie cross German shepherds for varmint control !!!! He always used nature for its God Given, well thought out booby traps !!!!! Kept ya on your toes and alert !!!!! 🤠

Dad was an Ol WWII Burma HellCat from H-Company and we alway keep Several King Blacks they are bull snakes that are quick to spot, His Raters, along with two Collie cross German shepherds for varmint control !!!! He always used nature for its God Given, well thought out booby traps !!!!! Kept ya on your toes and alert !!!!! 🤠
No bugs, no rats, no bad snakes, you keep the place right !!!! Always preferred king blacks to rattlers or Cotten vipers !!!

Hats off to your Dad for his service! Up in Northwest Ohio, we don't have any snakes like that and now with cooler temps mice will be migrating into the barn. I need to get some barn cats and see how that goes. Thanks

Bounce dryer sheets will keep mice away for about a month, then need to change them if you have a lot of mice in the area.
I didn't know that......thank you! I have some dryer sheets, not Bounce, but figure they'll work the same and will try those and see how they work! Much appreciated!

I didn't know that......thank you! I have some dryer sheets, not Bounce, but figure they'll work the same and will try those and see how they work! Much appreciated!
Split hedge apples work too, and skunks and coons don't like them at all, just remember if rat or mice come in a snake will fallow the dent right in too !!!! Always do chain of command(food chain) same when I was in CTO USNavy, if at the bottom can’t get below old Whale **** !!!! Be like the sparrow in the hot cow poop when the wolf comes by stay deep and quiet, ya stay alive that way !!!!

Split hedge apples work too, and skunks and coons don't like them at all, just remember if rat or mice come in a snake will fallow the dent right in too !!!! Always do chain of command(food chain) same when I was in CTO USNavy, if at the bottom can’t get below old Whale **** !!!! Be like the sparrow in the hot cow poop when the wolf comes by stay deep and quiet, ya stay alive that way !!!!
Word perfect sucks not dent it’s scent of smell !!!

We milked three head every morning and night Jersey crosses and the cat always stayed by the stall end and we sprayed them on their coats than after straining it gave them a little of the light stuff, never my favorite cream ya know !!! Miss that on fresh peaches 🍑 !!!!

Manual says SAE 10W-30, so does it have to be Cub Cadet brand, as I read it contains higher zinc levels to help cool engine or can I also use regular automotive SAE 10W-30?
Had earlier issue with engine overheating, white smoke and Low Oil Pressure light on. Engine would shutdown 15-20 seconds after starting. I replaced Oil Pressure Sensor, which fixed issue shutting down, however engine still gets hot. After removing massive mouse nest, I had hoped it would have fixed overheating issue. I did notice small Oil area on right-side of engine and little bit of white smoke coming out of breather. Is it possible the overheating caused the leak? I don't have any Oil accumulating anywhere. Attaching pics to help with what I'm talking about...View attachment 150337View attachment 150338
You need to pull the tin covers on the engine it’s going to be over heating and wiping it out, the air can not flow around a plugged up air system with all that debris !!!!

Back