• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 1863 Kohler 18HP Engine Overheating with white smoke

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Albring

Manual says SAE 10W-30, so does it have to be Cub Cadet brand, as I read it contains higher zinc levels to help cool engine or can I also use regular automotive SAE 10W-30?
Had earlier issue with engine overheating, white smoke and Low Oil Pressure light on. Engine would shutdown 15-20 seconds after starting. I replaced Oil Pressure Sensor, which fixed issue shutting down, however engine still gets hot. After removing massive mouse nest, I had hoped it would have fixed overheating issue. I did notice small Oil area on right-side of engine and little bit of white smoke coming out of breather. Is it possible the overheating caused the leak? I don't have any Oil accumulating anywhere. Attaching pics to help with what I'm talking about...
20220715_184704.jpg
20220716_120924.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220719-151556_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220719-151556_Chrome.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well to me it looks like oil is collecting on the cylinder in that lower picture. Are you certain you removed all the nest material? Some could've stayed around the edges of the flywheel or tuck in the shroud. You can run automotive oil, at least for testing. I'd suggest washing down/off the oil from that cylinder, let it dry and then test run the engine and watch it for any residual oil appearance.

For the cost, I'd just run the correct oil. That way you know without a doubt it's the right stuff for the application. Same thinking applies to HyTran..

Well to me it looks like oil is collecting on the cylinder in that lower picture. Are you certain you removed all the nest material? Some could've stayed around the edges of the flywheel or tuck in the shroud. You can run automotive oil, at least for testing. I'd suggest washing down/off the oil from that cylinder, let it dry and then test run the engine and watch it for any residual oil appearance.
Will do.....thanks!

Will do.....thanks
For the cost, I'd just run the correct oil. That way you know without a doubt it's the right stuff for the application. Same thinking applies to HyTran..
Ok....thanks!

I'm not familaiar with that ebgine, but....
Is that where the head bolts onto the block?
If so, leaky gasket if it keeps showing up in that same area after a GOOD cleaning w/wire brush and parts cleaner and dried off with a good blast of air.

I'm not familaiar with that ebgine, but....
Is that where the head bolts onto the block?
If so, leaky gasket if it keeps showing up in that same area after a GOOD cleaning w/wire brush and parts cleaner and dried off with a good blast of air.
Yes and this would be a first having to change a head gasket. I appreciate the reply....thanks!

That engine is a Kohler Command and looks to have a blown head gasket. I would pull the engine out, remove the tins and make sure there is nothing restricting the airflow across it. Tractor Supply Company (and a bunch of other vendors) sell a maintenance kit that is made by Kohler with all the goodies needed. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/kohler-command-pro-18-25-hp-engine-maintenance-kit
How can I confirm my engine type is one of those listed in the kit....my 1863 Model is 14A-664-100 with Ser # 000891386. Does TSC also carry the head gasket for it, should it end up being issue? Have my work cutout for me and greatly appreciate your reply, along with link to kit!

How can I confirm my engine type is one of those listed in the kit....my 1863 Model is 14A-664-100 with Ser # 000891386. Does TSC also carry the head gasket for it, should it end up being issue? Have my work cutout for me and greatly appreciate your reply, along with link to kit!
CH18S should be what you have, that is what is in my 1864 (same as yours but with couple extras). It's the correct kit...👍😎👍

Make sure you get the Kohler head gasket, they will be the "fire ring" type that seal properly.

Sounds like a great time to do them both, clean and resurface along with "de-carboning" the top of the piston.
Thanks for info.....how do you de-carbon a piston? I've replaced both exhaust manifold gaskets for muffler and cleaned carburetor, but this will be first tackling something this big.

Use some carb cleaner and a hard wooden wedge or plastic scraper.
Put the head at TDC and use a vacuum cleaner while doing this to avoid debris getting into the ring area.
DO NOT scratch the top of the piston or combustion chamber on the heads.
The cleaner the head, the better, polished would be still better yet.
This is/was a suggested regular maintenance item in the K series owners manual IIRC.

Use some carb cleaner and a hard wooden wedge or plastic scraper.
Put the head at TDC and use a vacuum cleaner while doing this to avoid debris getting into the ring area.
DO NOT scratch the top of the piston or combustion chamber on the heads.
The cleaner the head, the better, polished would be still better yet.
This is/was a suggested regular maintenance item in the K series owners manual IIRC.
Good to know.....am I able to perform this without having to pull engine out, as I'm limited on shop tools, so I wouldn't be able to pull, let alone the knowledge on all the steps involved. I have a disabled child so my time spent on this is limited. Thanks again for the help....very much appreciated!!!

Would be best to buy or download the factory service manual (FSM) for your engine.
That will have step by step instructions for all you need to do to inspect and/or overhaul that engine series.
Sounds good and will look for one. Thanks again!

Back