• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 147 Refurb/Mod

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Craig, still on a break? 🏖️
Hey Cubbie! It's slow going, since I retired I've taken on many different projects including this one. I'm making slow progress as I try to fit all my work into 16 hours a day. Here's the latest:

I decided the 7/16"-20 IH CC147 lug bolts were too miniscule. I like something larger, much larger, and I want studs. So here you have it. Big attaching lug bolts (14mm x 1.5 [silly big, I know], re-drilled/tapped axle flange) with spacers that have 12mm x 1.25 studs.

20220622_204335.jpg
20220622_204407.jpg
20220622_211509.jpg
20220622_211523.jpg

That sure is the definition of "solution looking for a problem". Axle will twist off at the splines long before the lug bolts ever become an issue.

Nice machine work on the spacers though!

I started the front-end transformation from the drop-axle spindle to an axle that sticks out of an actual spindle. Here's the original mock-up of a king pin spindle and its mount (sans axle) to the front axle beam:

View attachment 150286 View attachment 150287 View attachment 150288

Welded up (with the "driver's side" steering arm attached, also with new hub on) it looks like this:

View attachment 150290 View attachment 150291

With some steering linkage and wheels in place:

View attachment 150292 View attachment 150293

Anyhow, aside from my welding, I'm liking the new front-end... Here's a better view of the spindle/hub from the front:

View attachment 150294
I dunno man...my gut instinct tells me that the plate steel is not going to hold up. With all that heavy duty spindle and hub, I'd think a modified original design would be the way to go...back down through the cast axle, then out and into your hub.

I do admire the inventive sense of trying something different. I agree with Marty, that thing may be a b*tch to steer...maybe not so much in motion, but at a stop on concrete or pavement?...my 1450 sucks royal buttcheek to turn at a standstill on pavement or concrete.
Although, with the lighter engine it may be easier...

Hey Cubbie! It's slow going, since I retired I've taken on many different projects including this one. I'm making slow progress as I try to fit all my work into 16 hours a day. Here's the latest:

I decided the 7/16"-20 IH CC147 lug bolts were too miniscule. I like something larger, much larger, and I want studs. So here you have it. Big attaching lug bolts (14mm x 1.5 [silly big, I know], re-drilled/tapped axle flange) with spacers that have 12mm x 1.25 studs.
Thanks, Craig. You must have a lot on your plate right now. Your machine work is outstanding. Hope all modifications work just how you want them. Are all projects done in your shop?

Thanks, Craig. You must have a lot on your plate right now. Your machine work is outstanding. Hope all modifications work just how you want them. Are all projects done in your shop?
Cubbie-- I do all my own work in my shop, which is 85 miles away from my garage (which houses the tractor project)! Thanks for the kudos.

Here's what's on my plate: Photography (www.CHKPix.com), Custom Fab work (www.CraigsCustomFab.com), complete website work for multiple organizations, odd-jobs-for-hire (landscaping, tile work, construction). And in my spare time I golf, rock climb, hike, mountain bike, and do my own fun lathe/mill projects.

Cubbie-- I do all my own work in my shop, which is 85 miles away from my garage (which houses the tractor project)! Thanks for the kudos.

Here's what's on my plate: Photography (www.CHKPix.com), Custom Fab work (www.CraigsCustomFab.com), complete website work for multiple organizations, odd-jobs-for-hire (landscaping, tile work, construction). And in my spare time I golf, rock climb, hike, mountain bike, and do my own fun lathe/mill projects.
You clearly are talented and pretty busy. I don't smoke but find those pipes very interesting. So how did you divide your 16 hours?:)

I'd reinforce those similar to the original flares to clear the flywheel. Those square corners will crack otherwise.

I see that the new engine is well fitted. Can you start the engine at that stage?😃

I see that the new engine is well fitted. Can you start the engine at that stage?😃
Hey Cubbie!! I could actually start the engine now, just haven't. This project is literally in cold storage until the high desert NM winter is over. Oh, I define winter as anything lower than 60 degrees...

Back