• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to IH Cub Cadet Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

cub cadet 1450

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon ernstoff

i have a 1976 cub cadet 1450 that cosmetically is in excellent condition. It has been serviced yearly and now appears to need engine rebuild. None of the local lawn mower service folks have time to look at it until the fall. If anyone knows someone in the Connecticut area, preferably in central Connecticut, who might rebuild the engine, the information would be appreciated. Will otherwise sell it to someone who can rebuild themselves or for parts. Again, cosmetically she is in great shape. Has plow and mower deck. [email protected]

i have a 1976 cub cadet 1450 that cosmetically is in excellent condition. It has been serviced yearly and now appears to need engine rebuild. None of the local lawn mower service folks have time to look at it until the fall. If anyone knows someone in the Connecticut area, preferably in central Connecticut, who might rebuild the engine, the information would be appreciated. Will otherwise sell it to someone who can rebuild themselves or for parts. Again, cosmetically she is in great shape. Has plow and mower deck. [email protected]
Do you have pictures?

downloaded a few pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 489
Wow that's nice!! That's a seriously good looking machine you got there... (y) (y)
What makes you think the engine needs rebuilt?
When I get into high grass or go up hill, engine. sputters and dies. While serviced, folks indicated that it was loosing compression. Engine was rebuilt once and individual who performed this (a number of years ago) wasn't sure if it could go through another rebuild. I don't have time or ability to trouble shoot so, options are to have someone check it "when they have time" ( could be the fall) or sell it

Why did trhe rebuilder think last time it wasn't fit to do again?
What all was done to it last time?
Was it bored like .030 or so?
Cracked block?
That is a super nice looking Cub, I would do whatever it needed to save it.
Much much nicer that most one would see on C/L or F/B
Like Dawid said, too bad you are 1/2 a continent away here also.

First thing I'd do is remove the head, take a peek and see if there's anything obvious. Could be a simple head gasket, new bolts and some mild sanding to ensure the head is flat. Maybe a valve...
It's simple enough...an hour with some plain old hand tools, some pictures, help from the knowledgeable people on this forum and you might be able to diagnose the problem. That is a sweet machine and worthy of repair. If you choose to sell it without fixing it, it will be worth far less...

Jon, as others have mentioned that is a very nice 1450! Definitely worth getting the engine fixed.

I was able to locate the mechanic who did the first rebuild. He is going to look at the engine this weekend to try and determine the specific problem and if so, is it worth repairing. I appreciate all the input I have received so far. The tractor has been in our family since new so would like to try and get it running again. If not practical, will then consider selling.

My thoughts on the "not worth rebuilding" Perhaps your mechanic is looking at the total cost factor of the engine rebuild. If so then what he is saying in a way makes sense. What he is thinking is that it is cheaper to buy a new mower than rebuild the engine. However what he is overlooking is the fact that once rebuilt that engine will last a long time. If the rest of the tractor and mower deck are also in good condition then it is a no brainer. That Cub Cadet will outlast two - three new box store lawn or garden tractors. Just my thoughts. :)

Am I the only ones that see's that there no mention of price! And somehwere in CT. is pretty vague.

Back