• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

cub cadet 129 hydrostatic question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Marty,this started to be a confusing answer to a question.All the long numbers,different cans,jugs with red stripes,can I substitute with this?Marty,Digger,correct me if I'm wrong, Case-IH Dealer has Akcela Hydraulic Transmission Oil Hy-Tran Ultra Traction in gallon jugs, takes 7 quarts with filter,or New Holland Dealer,Master Tran

Thanks Marty,this started to be a confusing answer to a question.All the long numbers,different cans,jugs with red stripes,can I substitute with this?Marty,Digger,correct me if I'm wrong, Case-IH Dealer has Akcela Hydraulic Transmission Oil Hy-Tran Ultra Traction in gallon jugs, takes 7 quarts with filter,or New Holland Dealer,Master Tran
YES SIR! 👍

I have a couple of more questions. School me please.I'm enjoying this post and learning about the fluids.What is the purpose of Zinc,why does JD believe its needed, where Cub doesn't?What would be a problem using JD-with zinc in Cub that all its life hadn't used it.Thinking about those guys that don't have a dealership close.Thanks

Or if you have a Rural King store nearby I purchased and used their Premium Trans-Hydraulic Oil by Providence.

I have a couple of more questions. School me please.I'm enjoying this post and learning about the fluids.What is the purpose of Zinc,why does JD believe its needed, where Cub doesn't?What would be a problem using JD-with zinc in Cub that all its life hadn't used it.Thinking about those guys that don't have a dealership close.Thanks
My guess is Zinc is an added lubricant.
8 years ago I changed with NAPA filter and Tractor Supplys Traveler premium tractor trans/hydro. The label on the jug did cross to hydrant, an it was local to me. It runs in summer and wicked cold winters. I mostly snow plow, it never sees the stresses of tilling.

Last edited:
Zinc is an anti wear additive. Also used in motor oil to prevent wear on flat tappet cams and lifters among other things. Most oils have reduced or taken it out all together with the use of roller lifters being common place now. That is not good for old muscle car engines tho and can take out a cam in short order I'm told. As to why it would be a problem in a hydro I'm not schooled enough to address that. I agree hy Tran is a premium product. Will your hydro immediately explode in a million pieces if you use something else? No I don't think so. If you can get hytran would it be preferable to use it? Yes probably.

so i decided to buy something to scare the crap out of my cousin i bought a train horn and put it on my cub cadet 129 and it is louder then crap

After setting my 129 hydrostatic speed on level ground my tractor will speed up going down a hill. I thought the transmission was supposed to maintain the speed that you set?

Back