• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 102 shifter

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Laughrey

displayname
TruckGuy1995
Not sure if this is the right place, but I just got a 1966 CC 102. The shifter won't move side to side to go into gear, it just sits in the neutral spot and the whole lever rotates. Is there a pin or bolt or anything that is supposed to keep it oriented straight to change gears? I'm not familiar with this transmission. It's a 3 speed with reverse. Thanks in advance
20210505_143040.jpg

Attachments

• 20210505_143046.jpg
    20210505_143046.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
It is apparently broken loose from the "cup" inside the shifter cover. You will have to take it off and weld the cup back on.

What I can see from the slot in the frame, the shift rod goes through a spring then into the dust cap. So I weld it solid to that cap?

No.
There is a pin that goes through the shaft and rests inside a small cup/lip that sits on top of the spring. Press down on the spring, and you can then slide this pin out. That will let you take the shifter out of the cover. This spring holds down the dust cap on the shifter cover. Inside the shift cover is where the cup is that i'm referring to.
You can also look up the parts diagram for the 102 and see what I am talking about.

After taking a quick look at the shifter for the 102, it seems there are more parts than the older 70/100 shifter. Without physically looking at one, I am unsure about the configuration on this one. Maybe someone who has taken one apart lately can give more info on this shifter.
I would go look, but I just had surgery yesterday and don't feel so good.

After taking a quick look at the shifter for the 102, it seems there are more parts than the older 70/100 shifter. Without physically looking at one, I am unsure about the configuration on this one. Maybe someone who has taken one apart lately can give more info on this shifter.
I would go look, but I just had surgery yesterday and don't feel so good.
No problem I hope you feel better soon

It is important that you get the correct orientation between the rod and the cup for proper operation.
You will see just where it's broken once you get it apart.
Try to get it back in the same spot at the original angle.

Here's a link to the service manual for the 102:

102 Service Manual

Here's a few photos and exploded views of the area, and some showing how to pry it apart.

438.jpg

439.jpg

440.jpg

6227.jpg

1x2_Shift_EXP_01.jpg

1x2_Shift_01.jpg

Back