• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 73 ammeter

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldironfan

displayname
Bernie
Restoring a 73, anyone know where the ammeter would go? I read it was an option, I have been told it could be installed in the dash or from an"L" bracket. I really don't want to punch a hole in the dash.

I don't have a 73. One of my Originals has the ammeter in a bracket hanging off the dash directly behind the steering wheel.

I don't have a 73. One of my Originals has the ammeter in a bracket hanging off the dash directly behind the steering wheel.

Do you have a pic of it, I would really like to see what the bracket looks like. It has the headlight switch on the tower, I'm going to put headlights and a tail light on it, so I would really like to have an ammeter.

Hey Bernie - here's a pic of the bracket listed on CC Specialties web site under the Electrical category, and priced at $12.00.
It does say it's OEM. I've seen these attached at various locations on the dash tower (front or side). I don't think they were ever IH factory (assembly line) installed. I think they were a dealer installed option.

NOS OEM chrome Amp Gauge Charge Indicator mounting bracket PN/ IH 394584 R1
Fits most all Cub Cadets

Here's the installation instructions:

ChargeIndicator-1.jpg

Here's some photos of them mounted, first two are on a 73:

6933.jpg

6934.jpg

This one is on a 100:

7525.jpg

This on is on an Original:

12783.jpg

I've always thought that same thing, that it'd be in the way of my knees. If it were mine I'd probably mount it on the left side, but the instructions indicate to mount it as shown.

I've kicked the key on my 125 and it has a recessed key switch. :mad:

Dave and Kraig - not only a knee buster but a knuckle buster and finger scraper too. Look at those wire connector terminals on the underside of the meter. They are just waiting to cut your fingers open when you hit the start button (if you got one) or when you go to turn the key - DANG!!!

I have seen a few of these amp meter brackets mounted on the left side of the tower but then they kinda get in the way of the light switch and are still finger scrapers.

In either mounting location I don't see how the wires get hidden.

Looks like a side mount will be the better way to go. The weather guru says it is going to be pretty cold this weekend, looks like a good time to be in the garage and come up with a clever way to mount this puppy.

Last edited:
Here is where I mounted mine on my 70 and 100. For me, it works great on the left side out of the way, and there was already a hole there for the wires. Not sure if there is already a hole on the 73, but a 1/4 inch hole placed just under the mount would be hard to see by just looking at it.

030 (2) [640x480].JPG

I also mounted a light switch on both tractors on the same side. Both the switch and amp bracket are not in the way of each other. The light switch is the white dot to the right of the 70 label.

026 (2) copy.jpg

Leave it to Marty to come up with a nice location that doesn't interfere with things AND looks really great to. AND for that matter the whole tractor looks great to. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say it's an 11 point show winner. :cubwinker:

Back