• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 70 and 100 battery boxes.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kashaver

displayname
Kelvin Shaver
Do you know why my Cub 100 has a battery box for the Lawn and Garden size battery and you can mount a full-size car battery in my 70?

The other Frankenstein 70 with the K241 in it has a big battery box in it as well.

Kelvin,
Interesting thought there. I was under the impression that the 100 had the larger box, and the 70 had the smaller one.
Maybe someone can educate us on this. I will have to check my other 70 and 100 tractors to see what they have.

My all original 70 that my wife's uncle bought brand new has the large battery box. My 100 has the small box. Both are '64 models. This has been discussed before, but don't remember the outcome.

When I bought a 1961 Cub Original, it had a large battery box with a car battery still in it. The battery box looked to be homemade. The cub original and the cub 70 are virtually the same tractor. The early 100’s Kohlers did not have a compression release, thus, they needed the extra battery power to crank the engine over.

Both my 100's had the small battery box, I carefully centre punched and then drilled out three or four spot welds on each side from the inside of the battery box side and once sufficiently weakened pried the flap loose and then gently bend the flap down and remake the upward bend such that the new box size can take a normal car battery and with a small amount extra to accommodate the battery restraining bolt head, and clears the hood in the downward closed position.

Kirk, can you check the serial number on the 70 and 100 that you have, that might help narrow down a serial number break for when the change from the large battery box to the small battery box occurred. Does your 100 have the steering wheel with the center cap or the acorn nut? The early 100s had the acorn nut the later ones had the center cap. If your 100 has the small battery box I would assume it has the center cap. All the 70s had the acorn nut.

This what my October 1964 IH Cub Cadet 100 tractor has for a battery box and steering wheel center cap. It needs a new battery box.

Attachments

• IMG_2875.JPG
    IMG_2875.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_2876.JPG
    IMG_2876.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_2880.JPG
    IMG_2880.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 299
When I bought a 1961 Cub Original, it had a large battery box with a car battery still in it. The battery box looked to be homemade. The cub original and the cub 70 are virtually the same tractor. The early 100’s Kohlers did not have a compression release, thus, they needed the extra battery power to crank the engine over.

You are right on the early 100's but the OCC and the 70 are really very different. Do you own both? Not being rude, just looking to clarify.

Randy

Thanks for all the replies. I can't post pictures. I am not looking to change to the large battery, I was just wanting to know if there was an 'early' or 'late' production parts break or something. It just seemed odd that the 100 tractor with the larger engine can only accept the smaller battery.

Kraig,
Here are the serial numbers from my 70 and 100. I thought both were '64 models. But according to the chart I referenced the 70 is a '63 model.

Model 70- #71926 built Dec 1963--large battery box
Model 100- #91940 built Aug 1964--small battery box with acorn nut steering wheel (steering wheel may not be original to tractor)

The previous measurements I had supplied 6.5x10.25, Is that a larger battery box? Additionally, I also have an acorn steering wheel nut.

If the battery box comes way out to fill the inside width of the hood, then it's a large battery box. I believe you said up thread that you have a 70, note, all 70's have the acorn nut on the steering wheel. Here's a photo from a 70/100 brochure, note how the battery box fills out the space.

70-100-a.jpg

Here's a photo of a 122 which is from the next series (what we call the 71-1x2/3 series) note how small the battery box is, it doesn't fill out the space under the hood.

122-a.jpg

Back