• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 60

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple of photos of John’s 85 Special as it arrived in St. Louis from Michigan as I recall.

3C99E2DB-1B78-4EA1-94B6-CAB8B9A066B1.jpeg 3A17C85A-3562-45AB-A00B-5EA82191B01B.jpeg

Nice 55, but now I want a banner...

Jim is modest. He went out of his way to pick the 85 up for me. My son picked it up in St. Louis from his son. They both laughed about their fathers and their hobbies. Jim and I have talked and texted many times and I consider him a good friend even though we have never met. When times in the world are tough, it's beneficial for my soul good to think about the good people around...

Brad,
/\ Stay away from the Tecumseh powered ones. Wacky cam driven reverse, timing and governor settings are tricky. Go with the Briggs. There will be no surprises about how that works. And I can tell you the bathtubs will fit inside of a Volkswagen Atlas with the steering wheel off even though I staged that photo with ramps down from the roof rack. I teased John that I chose that Atlas on the rental lot because it had the roof rack.

Andif you really want a project, there is a tub for sale near me with very little else.

Brad,
/\ Stay away from the Tecumseh powered ones. Wacky cam driven reverse, timing and governor settings are tricky. Go with the Briggs. There will be no surprises about how that works. And I can tell you the bathtubs will fit inside of a Volkswagen Atlas with the steering wheel off even though I staged that photo with ramps down from the roof rack. I teased John that I chose that Atlas on the rental lot because it had the roof rack.

Andif you really want a project, there is a tub for sale near me with very little else.
I getting better with the B&S, I have a 182, 382H, 80, & 81. I’m not an engine guy so it’s still a struggle, especially with the carb. Wish I had someone close by that would be willing to teach me the details on rebuilding and setting up.

Trust me when I say I have enough projects!! 🤣 🤣 I have 2 other Cubs I need to work on to get running again. One has a blown motor and the other needs motor mounts. If I wasn't trying to keep it original I would switch the engine to a BS.

I found a 8hp Briggs to convert one of my 60's to a "85". The hardest thing was finding a transmission. The 55, 75 and 85 use the foote 3speed with reverse, the 60 uses a 4 speed foote with the extended cam for reverse. Parts are non existent even though many manufacturers used them. The pinion gear is prone to rust if water enters. I found one on ebay that was NOS and put another together using 4 donors to get all the parts needed. I hope to be working on them again after Christmas. Wife has me on honey do's since we are hosting at our newish lake retirement house that we built a great deal ourselves over the last 5 years...

What other tractors do you have, Wade?

Well that's way more than I was expecting. Which Cub Cadet needs engine mounts, and which needs an engine?

The 1650 needs engine mounts and the 1250 needs an engine. The Cubs I have collected over the years, the tractors were my Dad's that have been since retired from Farm work.

You got my attention when you mentioned a Farmall H. I just bought one 2 months ago and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Would certainly like to see pictures!

Anyway, I tend to "tolerate" Tecumseh engines more than most people. To me, in your video it sounds like its running too lean. Usually the main adjustment screw is in the bolt that holds the carb bowl on. I would try turning it to the left and seeing if the engine smooths out. If it does, turn it a little bit more to make the mixture ever so slightly rich. Do keep in mind that since the jet is on the underside of the bowl, turning it to the left will look like you're turning it to the right if you look at the carb from above.

Brad, I wish you well on your search......and if you find an "extra" one, please let me know! I would like to have an 85 or 85 Special in the worst way!!!

Brad and Edward, I don't know where you are located but there is a great deal in PA. 18 hours from SW Mo -so way to far for me but if I was closer, they would be in my shed!! I am attaching a screen shot- search Facebook groups for cub cadet bathtubs. Good luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211212-201811_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211212-201811_Facebook.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 85
Back