• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 60

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjanulis

IHCC Supporter
displayname
wade janulis
Hi everyone! I need some help, I just purchased a 1968 International Cub model 60, it's in great condition except the carburetor is not the correct one and it doesn't run well. It spits and sputters unless you engage the mower deck. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement or what jet size it would be? Or a current part # for the carburetor. Any help would be appreciated!
Wade

Attachments

• 20210911_155500.jpg
    20210911_155500.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210911_155454.jpg
    20210911_155454.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 92
Perhaps it just needs a carb kit?
The Cadet 60 has a Tecumseh V60 engine. The carb kit is Tecumseh # 631029

Wade it can't be very far out of adjustment.I'm not familiar with that engine but most older carbs have two jet screws ,1 for fuel, 1 for idle and air.If you play with them be sure not to run them in too hard or it will groove the needle point of the jet....( I will admit I've hated tec. carbs for yrs, so maybe somebody else should give him adjustment guide lines)

Yea I'm hoping that adjusting the screws helps. I guess my thought is even if it's not the original carb I would hope that this other one could be adjusted correctly.

Surging could be governor? Are all carb/intake gaskets good? What about throttle and choke shafts? I don’t get along with Tecumsehs, though.

I expect the Bathtub King of Shell Knob (BKoSK) will be along soon to help.

Governor adjustment correct? Throttle and choke shafts tight?

I'm not sure if it is honestly. Maybe that explains why it's acting that way. How do I know if the governor adjustment is correct?

Try searching the inter web for manuals, or adjustment how-tos. Carburetor, and governor.

Wade, you said it's not the original carb..before you start thinking rebuild or whatever.It would be best to prove what you do have.Most ( not all ) carbs have numbers on them somewhere.....prior owner could have modified parts??

The prior owner was a widow woman. She had no idea about it, she was going to take it to the junk yard. I will look and see if I can find a # on the carb.

Well Jim calls me the BTkoSN. Unlike B&S engines of the day, Tecumseh uses a mechanical internal governor instead of an external air vane style governor. The opportunity for linkage problems is probably greater. It is possible the internal mechanism is hungup although I doubt it -works using centrifugal force. The carburetor is also a float style similar to Kohler rather then the pulse type many B&S used. You tube has some good carb videos. Like others have said, clean and pay attention to float level. Finally the points and timing are adjustable on these V60 engines. Don't mess with the adjustable timing if you don't have a dial indicator, but point inspecting and adjustment yes. Again YouTube can be your friend. I remember an old teacher told me once that 80% of carb problems are in the ignition system...Good luck, looks to be in good shape. My 60 projects have all been sitting out or not running for years. I am hoping to build one or two from four parts machines. One is going to be an electric conversion... I have been landscaping and arguing with Ozark rocks instead of IH projects lately...

Thanks for the help and information John! I am going to do some research and see what I come up with. This is my second Bathtub Cub, the other one is a model 55. I actually have a couple junk ones as well I use for parts. If you need any parts, hit me up and I can see if I have them!

John has got to be the Bathtub King of Shell Knob (we spell Knob with a K here in this part of the state) with two or three, or (parts of?) five in his stable. It’s a small town.
I had that ”carb problem in the ignition system“ thought last night too. How are the plug, plug wire, and spark?

Wade,
I keep thinking your next post will be to report that all is well, and you got it running smoothly. Here’s hoping...

I have a 75 and a 85 special as well. The 85 special is my only current runner, used it all summer and in particular the bagger to pick up my endless supply of oak leaves lol. I will let you know if I need anything during this process. I have been looking for a 95 electric for a while to finish the collection. Good luck!

Back