• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 1782 Question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Richards

displayname
Dave
Some of you may have seen I am on the hunt for a diesel Cub. I have run across a 1987 1782 about 3 hours away from me. It seems that an older gentleman has it, but does not know too many details unfortunately.

It has a front mount snow blower and a 60" mower deck. I am assuming the deck is a Haban since from my research that is the 60" option on the cyclops tractors?

He says the engine was rebuilt last summer or the summer before for $800. That raises many questions in my mind, but he didnt know how many hours it has now or how many it had before or since the rebuild. He is asking $3500, if its worth a trip I will go look at it. But that price combined with the engine story makes me somewhat concerned about its history.

Do you guys have any thoughts or opinions on it?

Thanks

The $800 doesn't buy a lot of Kubota engine parts, machining, or labor for a proper rebuild. I think the price is fairly strong, but is driven by supply and demand, and the general overall condition of the unit.

The $800 doesn't buy a lot of Kubota engine parts, machining, or labor for a proper rebuild. I think the price is fairly strong, but is driven by supply and demand, and the general overall condition of the unit.

That was definitely one of my concerns. Firstly, assuming it has lower hours why was it needed. Secondly, that doesn't buy much especially as recently as a summer or two ago. I might just let this one pass. He only has one picture of it, and said he isnt able to take more either.

He only has one picture of it, and said he isn't able to take more either.

Sounds like he isn't too motivated to sell. Might be up "for sale" to appease a nagging wife, but he really doesn't want it gone.

1782's were not made in 1987. If the tractor was made in 1987, that would make it a 1572. 1782's started production in 1990. We need pictures to confirm the model. 800.00 on rebuilt probably would not even cover the labor.

I have a 1987, 1572 with 1600+ hours and it still runs strong.

1782's were not made in 1987. If the tractor was made in 1987, that would make it a 1572. 1782's started production in 1990. We need pictures to confirm the model. 800.00 on rebuilt probably would not even cover the labor.

I have a 1987, 1572 with 1600+ hours and it still runs strong.

This is the picture I have of it. He must have the year wrong in his mind then. I talked with him on the phone, it was difficult to get information with any substance to it unfortunately. This looks like the cyclops model 1782 to me but aren't there fender flares on some of them?. I am still fairly new at identifying the diesels. Is it possible it could even be the Kubota gas model? Is there anyway from such a poor picture to even tell? The corner of it you can see looks clean, the other corners who knows. :)

Thanks for all the info so far everyone.

Cub.JPG

Yep, so it is a 1782 or a gas 2182. The fender flares were added toward the end of these. The last 2-3 years I think. 3500.00 seems a bit high but you might talk him down if you are interested,

Dave, PA is a big state so i dont know where you are. On FB there is a newer model (sn880178 -so about 9000 from the last one made)1782 with 502 hours but not nearly as pretty, 60" deck (looks to be missing the rear stabilizer plate - looks like "homeplate") and the 551 blower (poor paint but the augers are super straight) in thomasville pa. $2900
this deal you referenced seems a bit shady to me and is an older machine - it has the steel tunnel (in my opinion superior design) and it has the plastics with slots for the radiator intake - poor design as it lets grass clippings into the radiator inlet. yes there is a screen but you will need to clean it often. I had two of these in the past and replaced the plastics with later version they have screens in the plastics at the radiator inlet.
I would guess that the 800 dollar "rebuild" might have covered an injection pump rebuild at most.

Last edited:
Dave, PA is a big state so i dont know where you are. On FB there is a newer model (sn880178 -so about 9000 from the last one made)1782 with 502 hours but not nearly as pretty, 60" deck (looks to be missing the rear stabilizer plate - looks like "homeplate") and the 551 blower (poor paint but the augers are super straight) in thomasville pa. $2900
this deal you referenced seems a bit shady to me and is an older machine - it has the steel tunnel (in my opinion superior design) and it has the plastics with slots for the radiator intake - poor design as it lets grass clippings into the radiator inlet. yes there is a screen but you will need to clean it often. I had two of these in the past and replaced the plastics with later version they have screens in the plastics at the radiator inlet.
I would guess that the 800 dollar "rebuild" might have covered an injection pump rebuild at most.

Thanks. I don't have Facebook, I will have to borrow my wife's account for a bit and see what I can find.

the tractor you mentioned is also on FB. maybe not the ad you saw, but its there - closer to Ohio. I assumed since you were 3 hours away you must be central or east PA. Thomasville is basically York PA.
the one I mentioned is not pretty but it looks solid with low hours. Paint is cheap plus you can do a moderate refurb when you go through cleaning every connector and ground on the tractor...It will save you pain and misery if you do that right upfront. i have had several of the Kubota powered tractors - poor connections cause most of the problems I have had with them. Starting, charging, PTO's, Safeties, lights,
the 1782 (KB-19488-12110) and the 2182 (KB-12582-12110 ) mufflers have different part numbers. I don't know what this means but they look the same on the outside, same bolt pattern, as far as I can tell all the associated parts are identical. I would guess they have different flow/backpressure characteristics.

I borrowed my wife's account and saw the one in Thomasville, PA. She sure is an ugly duckling :yikes:.

I am going to message the guy to see about it. I also might take one more chance at trying to get some information on the one that was supposedly rebuilt.

the thomasville 1782 needs a tunnel cover and a muffler. the lift rod for the snow blower is bent (I have bent mine several times easy to bend back). the deck looks like it has been sitting outside a long time based on the rust but they are made of plate steel so it is likely very solid - the deck bearings are all suspect. those have to be rebuilt as they are not available as an assembly, the steering ram cylinder has been replaced- they come yellow not black from the factory same as the tractor, rear tires have been replaced, chains look new as do the cub 75# wheel weights. the fronts are original -likely dry rotted. check the hydrostat fluid for color you of course want it to be translucent not milky-indicating water is in there. the dipstick tube on the supers seal poorly. leaving them outside is not a good plan. that is what i see from the pictures- low hours and nothing is trying to be hidden is what I like about this one.
the Prospect 1782 looks very nice but its the older model. I think it has been painted considering how nice the body is compared to the rust on the front wheels, there is some modification in the hitch area and it looks like a drip pan under the hydrostat (not terrible but something to check), it looks like it had a sun-brella mounted at some point -two holes in the fenders behind the seat, muffler looks good, tires have all been replaced, the weights are some off brand and look to be 50# which is not enough for a 450 snowblower. the picture is very low resolution - that hides alot the seller does not want to tell you much? why? is he hiding something or just an unmotivated seller. 3500 is pretty high priced. no indication of the deck condition but the early 60 inch deck is not as nice as the later decks in my opinion. the earlier tractors had the metal tunnel cover which I have put on my late model as well.
I would say this is my two cents worth but its more like my $16.28 cents! best of luck, look close at both of them and enjoy whatever you end up with! keep in mind an extra few hours drive may save you money if its for a better tractor.

the thomasville 1782 needs a tunnel cover and a muffler. the lift rod for the snow blower is bent (I have bent mine several times easy to bend back). the deck looks like it has been sitting outside a long time based on the rust but they are made of plate steel so it is likely very solid - the deck bearings are all suspect. those have to be rebuilt as they are not available as an assembly, the steering ram cylinder has been replaced- they come yellow not black from the factory same as the tractor, rear tires have been replaced, chains look new as do the cub 75# wheel weights. the fronts are original -likely dry rotted. check the hydrostat fluid for color you of course want it to be translucent not milky-indicating water is in there. the dipstick tube on the supers seal poorly. leaving them outside is not a good plan. that is what i see from the pictures- low hours and nothing is trying to be hidden is what I like about this one.
the Prospect 1782 looks very nice but its the older model. I think it has been painted considering how nice the body is compared to the rust on the front wheels, there is some modification in the hitch area and it looks like a drip pan under the hydrostat (not terrible but something to check), it looks like it had a sun-brella mounted at some point -two holes in the fenders behind the seat, muffler looks good, tires have all been replaced, the weights are some off brand and look to be 50# which is not enough for a 450 snowblower. the picture is very low resolution - that hides alot the seller does not want to tell you much? why? is he hiding something or just an unmotivated seller. 3500 is pretty high priced. no indication of the deck condition but the early 60 inch deck is not as nice as the later decks in my opinion. the earlier tractors had the metal tunnel cover which I have put on my late model as well.
I would say this is my two cents worth but its more like my $16.28 cents! best of luck, look close at both of them and enjoy whatever you end up with! keep in mind an extra few hours drive may save you money if its for a better tractor.

Thanks for this great breakdown on the details of both units.

I have not had a chance to contact them again unfortunately, hopefully before the end of the week I will. Both units have been for sale for several weeks or months even. That sort of gives me pause on both of them. Are others scared away by the higher prices, or are there hidden issues I wonder?

Thanks again!

there are a few in Indiana and at least one in New York I think as well. one looked like it was from an innercity car dealer - they painted everything including the plastics in the name of restoration! the highest I saw was $5K I think it had a Cab or maybe the cat 0 3pt and 2000rpm pto - they are pretty coveted items. I sold my tiller attachment years ago and have not found anything I want that uses a 2000 rpm pto. the 3pt i use often and the cab is a wonderful option in the winter when snowblowing. I take the doors and the windshield off for the summer months.

Back