• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 169 no spark after burnt points

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have the instruction sheet for that meter pictured? Would you mind if I asked for a copy of it.
Someone gave me one of those with some leads but without trial and error - I don't want to hurt it either...

Dang - I sure do remember those GM points (Actually I believe they were AC Delco). Now just what the heck was the name of them?
I do!

Went out to the shop and found my good 'old' meter sitting in the same place it has been since last used in the 70's, along with the flex allen hex tool that made life sooo much easier and safer, to do the running adjustment on the GM's.

For as good as they worked, (breaker points), I really don't miss them on cars or motorcycles at all!

View attachment 139215 View attachment 139216

Dang - I sure do remember those GM points (Actually I believe they were AC Delco). Now just what the heck was the name of them?

Harry - Near as I remember I think they were just called breaker points.
AC Delco was a brand for OEM GM parts. Although you might be thinking "uni-set", those had the condenser attached to the point set so you replaced them both as a single unit.

we all referred to them as Delco "window-type" ignition parts. The distributor cap had a moveable "window" that you opened for access to the points while the car was running.

Tom - yup, it was the Uni-set and the distributor cap with the window. Always wondered why Ford and Chrysler didn't copy it - but then the electronic ignition hit the scene.
Delco Uni-set Points and Condenser.jpg

Harry - I wondered that too! As I remember some folks didn't like the uni-set, but I did, saved me a bunch of lost condenser bracket screws when trying to install. I think there were some quality issues on some of the less well known brands maybe? One thing some folks might not know is that you could use the dwell meter on the ford and Chrysler's but not engine running, just engine cranking with distributor cap off.

Back