• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 1641 carburetor

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowery

displayname
Frank Lowery
Please tell me where to get a rebuilt 1641 carburetor. New ones are pricey and mine is way gunked up with foreign material up in the jets I cannot clean
1592903177467.jpeg

I also use the metal wires from my parts cleaning bushes......pull them out to use on a stubborn blockage.....careful as the edge may be sharp and damage the wall of the jet......I have a set of Weber carburetor jet drills that help .....
This only after every other cleaning method is exhausted.....

Note:eek:n the last 10 yard equipment repairs that I was told by owner " been sitting, probably needs a carburetor" , I have only replaced 1 carburetor and that was on a 20 year old weed eater.....

Gas torch cleaners worked well to clean jets on my 1440. Even after cleaning multiple times would start misfiring again after about an hour of mowing? Gave up and replaced with intake and carb off a 16hp and ran great. Fought the problem for a couple years before i fixed it and got rid of tractor as soon as i got it running right. Good luck with that as i was quite aggrevated by time i was done. I do miss the tractor now tho. Traded it for a broken down 1650 with brinly hitch, snow plow, haban snowblower, and IH tiller. Havent figured out who got best end of deal yet lol.

Gas torch cleaners worked well to clean jets on my 1440. Even after cleaning multiple times would start misfiring again after about an hour of mowing? Gave up and replaced with intake and carb off a 16hp and ran great. Fought the problem for a couple years before i fixed it and got rid of tractor as soon as i got it running right. Good luck with that as i was quite aggrevated by time i was done. I do miss the tractor now tho. Traded it for a broken down 1650 with brinly hitch, snow plow, haban snowblower, and IH tiller. Havent figured out who got best end of deal yet lol.
Thank you! Your note made me feel better. Tractor ain’t runnin yet, but I feel better.
😉

Opened up the carburetor for Fourth of July project. 🇺🇸
Cleaned out gunk that looked like ear wax.

runs on ether starting fluid, but won’t run on regular gas from the tank.
When you say clean out the jets, how do you get to the jets?

Attachments

• 417A5953-FD3E-4731-80DB-F80B3769FBBE.jpeg
    417A5953-FD3E-4731-80DB-F80B3769FBBE.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 385
  • B4259036-9F2C-41BC-B351-7522FD5B83FD.jpeg
    B4259036-9F2C-41BC-B351-7522FD5B83FD.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 409
  • D21CE73E-C1D5-4620-88B0-62358732DDB1.jpeg
    D21CE73E-C1D5-4620-88B0-62358732DDB1.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 382
You can see one of them in the picture (little round brass part with a screwdriver slot and tiny hole in the middle).

Remove the carb and squirt carb cleaner through every little hole and orifice you can find on both halves of the carb.

Have you soaked it in a gallon can of carb cleaner yet??
What are you using for gas?
ALL my cubs live on non ethanol gas with 1 ounce MMO per gallon. I had all of them out yesterday, many had not been started since last summer
and they all started and ran well.

Have you soaked it in a gallon can of carb cleaner yet??
What are you using for gas?
ALL my cubs live on non ethanol gas with 1 ounce MMO per gallon. I had all of them out yesterday, many had not been started since last summer
and they all started and ran well.
Thank you.
I used the torch tip cleaners to clean out the jets. Plus stayed carb cleaner into and through the jets. Got more ear wax looking stuff out. Put it back together. It runs strong on ether starting fluid. But dies when the ether is consumed.
New fuel pump.
new fuel filter.
fresh spark plugs.
fresh oil and filter.

watch iCloud

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0CB-ZNtZIJuIg2KgMLrcIygng
Any ideas?

Frank - if you disconnect the hose from the carb will fuel flow from it? (You might have to turn engine over if you have a fuel pump)

If not then you have an issue before the fuel gets to the carb, could be a bad fuel pump, blocked passage/hose, problem with fuel filter, clogged vent in fuel cap. Some filters have a check valve inside them and if installed backward fuel will not flow. Easy to test just blow thru in both directions. If you have fuel flow then the problem resides in the carb. Could be a blocked passage, float not working, needle and seat etc.

If you split the carb again, take top off, there should be fuel inside the float cavity. If not then fuel is not getting there. Think inlet needle and seat. If fuel is in the float cavity then you have a clogged jet or passage inside the carb.

To properly clean the carb it needs to be completely disassembled, remove any plastic and rubber bits, and soak in a bucket of special cleaner, I used to use a product called hydro-seal, just don't get any on your skin, it'll eat anything organic. Oh, it will also remove all the paint too.

If i remember correctly, remove the bowl and there was a long brass tube with several rows of tiny holes. Make sure valve float works is free allowing bowl to fill up. Its been a while and tractor drove me nuts. Eventually replaced carb and intake from another tractor and got rid of it before problem raised its head again. I also would use a squeeze bottle full of gas to start and keep running hoping that eventually the good gas would wash out all the crap in the carburetor. I took it on several 2 hour mowing trips thinking i had it fixed and it would start missing again. Good luck, i was glad to get rid of my problem but last i heard it is still going strong.

Just for the halibut, you might try taking the bowl, fliat, and jet out. Then remove anything plastic from the carb. Drop the carb in a pot of boiling water and ket it cook for 10 minutes or so. Then remove and blow out all orifices with an air hose and reassembke and retry. Although unconventional, it seems to melt any blockages. This has worked for many times with vintage chain saw carbs, even an old vw. Good luck!

Just for the halibut, you might try taking the bowl, fliat, and jet out. Then remove anything plastic from the carb. Drop the carb in a pot of boiling water and ket it cook for 10 minutes or so. Then remove and blow out all orifices with an air hose and reassembke and retry. Although unconventional, it seems to melt any blockages. This has worked for many times with vintage chain saw carbs, even an old vw. Good luck!
Thank you titan. I had not heard of the remedy but can picture how it can get the job done.

If i remember correctly, remove the bowl and there was a long brass tube with several rows of tiny holes. Make sure valve float works is free allowing bowl to fill up. Its been a while and tractor drove me nuts. Eventually replaced carb and intake from another tractor and got rid of it before problem raised its head again. I also would use a squeeze bottle full of gas to start and keep running hoping that eventually the good gas would wash out all the crap in the carburetor. I took it on several 2 hour mowing trips thinking i had it fixed and it would start missing again. Good luck, i was glad to get rid of my problem but last i heard it is still going strong.

Thank you for the tip. I would not have thought of the squeeze bottle idea. Thanks for the ideas.

Back