• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 149 Speed control

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't figure out the speed control adjustment on my 149. It either creeps to full blast or just falls into reverse at neutral. There appears to be minimal tension on the hydro lever. The problem is, I only have a c-clip on the shaft and no threads like the service manual shows. Also, the allen bolt and nut above I cannot get on either end. Every standard allen size doesn't work, maybe it was previously stripped, and the nut behind, I can't get any socket on. What should I do to get this Cub under control.

BookSpeedControl.jpg
MySpeedTension.jpg

I can't figure out the speed control adjustment on my 149. It either creeps to full blast or just falls into reverse at neutral. There appears to be minimal tension on the hydro lever. The problem is, I only have a c-clip on the shaft and no threads like the service manual shows. Also, the allen bolt and nut above I cannot get on either end. Every standard allen size doesn't work, maybe it was previously stripped, and the nut behind, I can't get any socket on. What should I do to get this Cub under control.

View attachment 144476View attachment 144477
The bushing is worn out or gone.
https://www.ccspecialties.org/hydroparts_holddowns.htmlHit the FAQ page for other fixes,
http://cubfaq.com/questions.html
1625355436660.png

Mike,

For a ruined socket head cap screw (Allen screw), I usually try to hammer in a Torx bit, and then use someting to drive that bit. Do you have enough access to hammer there? Find the appropriate Torx, and tap it in. Did Happy Gilmore just visit the forum? I use the 1/4 drive bits because they're cheap and easy to come by when you don't NEED them, so I keep a set with me on the road. There are enough Torx sizes that you can usually find one to fit.

Mike,

For a ruined socket head cap screw (Allen screw), I usually try to hammer in a Torx bit, and then use someting to drive that bit. Do you have enough access to hammer there? Find the appropriate Torx, and tap it in. Did Happy Gilmore just visit the forum? I use the 1/4 drive bits because they're cheap and easy to come by when you don't NEED them, so I keep a set with me on the road. There are enough Torx sizes that you can usually find one to fit.
Wow, that's some great advice. I will definitely do that, I have so many sets of those. Thanks!

Just to add, my pic was from my service manual :roflol:! But it's all good :beer_chug:. I find much value in this forum, and that's why I became a supporter after just one post. I plan to use this resource, and keep it going, for years to come. I am mechanically inclined, but sometimes the service manual doesn't depict the actual part of my year of 149 :old:. I'm just looking to make this a safe tractor to plow and cultivate a 1.8th acre garden, as when you don't mow really short (4"), the cub doesn't cut that well, but it is a great tool for a small operation. I have a beautiful short wife and a 13 year old kid that can do this, with a safe tractor. As it runs now, it's a killer. digger and jkoenig gave me 100% satisfaction in my post, wh cc guy didn't really see what I posted when I asked my question, digger made me laugh at the end! It's all good though, as I think everyone had great intensions.

Attachments

• BookSpeedControl.jpg
    BookSpeedControl.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 97
Back