• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 1440 decals - how best to remove

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Trammell

The tractor build date is 1992 and all plastic parts and decals are fading and curling up. What may be the best way to remove decals - I have already rebuilt the nose, repaired the plastic mounting feet that were in many pieces and now it nearly ready to repaint. Next is hood and side panels and need to remove the decals and etc. Thoughts? Thank you for all answers.

"Generally" the decals will come off easier with heat from a heat gun. However- most very old decals will just come apart in small chunks.
There is a spray-on "decal and adhesive remover" that I have never had much success with.
A bit more aggressive remover is a "Decal Eraser wheel". This is basically a rubber wheel you use on a 4 1/2" grinder, or drill.

Heat gun with a hotel key scraper would be my first choice. I took an entire clear front bra off of a car that way. It was weather checked all over.

I ended up actually "peeling" the decals off. The hood and side panels of my Cyclops is plastic so very aggressive attempts will likely damage the panel. I gently pried a corner loose and found slow continued pressure was the key - the decal simply peeled right off. Had to remove a little glue (adhesive) however that was a minor problem. I ordered the new decals and they arrived yesterday. Now finish sanding and nearly ready to paint the hood and panels.

I still am puzzled that Cub took the step of forming the hood, grill and side panels out of plastic on the Cyclops.... They actually would be better if fiberglass - best yet metal..... Oh well.

Back