• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 129 clutch problems

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppopp

displayname
phillip popp
Hi,
New here and to servicing my 129. Guy I bought it from said he already rebuilt the PTO clutch but I am not sure. So i have no idea how this thing is suppose to function when it is working correctly. What it is doing is the deck is staying engaged even when I pull the handle back. It makes it real hard to start with a load on it. II was working fine for two seasons. I have the older clutch set up, the one with out the shoe assembly. I notice their is no wear button, looks like it sheared off in the hole or the guy never put one on. How does this thing work, the wear button contacts the thrust button and pushes in the pressure spring? That in turn pushes the clutch disk against the clutch plate? Is the clutch disk (that looks like a gear with teeth) always engaged in that thing that looks like an old jello mold? I really apologize for not having all the terminology down. I would like to asses what the issue is but not sure how to determine what the issue is. Is it the pressure spring, maybe the thing is not adjusted correctly, I see you need a special gauge to set these thing up. The fact that I am missing the wear button the issue? I assume not because I am assuming the clutch is normally not engaged and will go back to that position when the handle is pulled back. I did manage to get the clutch assemble off the shaft. Really don't want to buy a whole new unit for $350-$400.

Any help on where to begin or a video describing how it functions or a written description would be much appreciated. I sue this as my primary tool to cut my grass and its going to be that time of year soon.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil: Welcome to the forum, you posted your question in a section of the forum reserved for Cub Cadet LAWN tractors (read the definition at the section listing), but you have a bona-fide Garden Tractor (which is much more valuable and better supported). In fact, you have a fairly desirable model, before the iso-mounts and side panels of the Quiet Line series, and it still has the manual clutch that can be "feathered in" --when it is working.

If I were you, I would simply re-post your question in the Main Forum board where it properly belongs. I'm fairly certain that the issue is the missing fiber button and an adjustment, but others can explain it better than I can. I have had its operation described to me, but I've never experienced the problem you're having, and I've never had to adjust the one on my 149.

Back