• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 1250 keyswitch fried

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Laughrey

displayname
TruckGuy1995
I have a 1975 CC 1250, 12hp Kohler. Went to move it yesterday and it sputtered and died after moving 30 feet. Went to restart it and as soon as I hit the key it smoked the keyswitch. One of the terminals liquified and fell off the switch. It's the big green wire that goes to the ammeter in the dash. Does anybody have an idea what the heck happened here? I ordered a new keyswitch but it wasn't cheap and I don't want to smoke another one right off. I looked around and I don't see and bad wires or grounded spots. I appreciate any help, thanks

Attachments

• 16237098871321743876019888934300.jpg
    16237098871321743876019888934300.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 121
Simple....Corroded terminals and or a bad short
Corrosion equals resistance which in turn equals heat that results in melted plastic and insulation.
Sounds like it's time for a new switch and harness repairs or replacement..
You said the switch was expensive, are you sure you got the correct switch??
Where did you get it?
IH-61524-C2

I got an IH replacement from Messick farm supply. It was $36 something. I looked over the harness and charging system and can't find any issues. Hopefully just the new keyswitch will be the fix

This must come in 3s. You're the 3rd one in the last month with switch issues. I'm going through mine, gotta one com'in, and one other member has found heat damage on his. Fortunately my wire ends cleaned up nice. Being in the battery charging circuit, it doesn't take much for the steel terminals to oxidized and cause a problem down the road; but it's all there is with the right pin out for now.

Latest posts

Back