• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Crown Vics P71

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
I am starting to think about a replacement vehicle for my wifes minivan which has and is trusty with 185000m but it is going to have one or several life ending failures sooner or later, too much to discuss.

I am looking at crown vics as a replacement. I feel their dependablity, safety, drive train beef-ness, roomyness inside and cargo in trunk, and of course a lot less people tailgating and pulling out in front of you.

So my question to ALL is whats your opinions regarding miles and hours on these vehicles?

Has any one drove one and knows mpg and ride in real life, we must have at least one law officer out here..

I am currently looking at a 2006 with 88,500 miles and 2850 hours. and it is unmarked with silver color. inside and out are clean.

Jeff,

Your van is just getting broken in. My truck is 25 years old and has 1/4 million miles on it! The engine has not been touched. I had to have the tranny rebuilt two years ago. I may buy an additional truck in the next five years. Here it is:

244078.jpg

Jeff,

I would say if it looks good, and is in good shape, and most of all, if it is a good deal. it in not uncommon for Crown Vics to reach 400,000+ miles as a cruiser/then taxi. I friend of mine just bought one, and I would not hesitate to jump in it and drive it across the country. With care, they will last a while. I read an article that taxi companies will get a crown vic @~ 100,000 miles. change the oil, and check the rest of the fluids, paint it yeller and and put it in service. They change the oil @~ 5000 miles, and routinely get 400+000 out of them with not much service but tires, brakes, gas and oil......

Jeff my son drove a crown vic while he was a deputy. He got about 15 mpg but the car was never shut off during his 8 hour shift. He drove it over 100 mph often when answering calls. It had 280.000 when he quit driving it and was still a good car.

Jeff, My mother-in-law has I believe a '91 model grand marquie (same as a vic) and still looks show room, she has way over 150000, the odometer quit (speedometer still ok) and it is too costly (if you can find a replacement) to replace so she has oil changed every 4 months and it still runs like a top, gas mileage was about 18-21 and she loves it. My son is a state trooper and he is on his third crowne vic and he really says they perform well, hold the road well (special tires) and he has exceeded way over 100 miles per hour and it handles well, the gas mileage he says he doesn't keep up with since it runs all the time. Overall the car is good. Since they quit making them if you get a good one with not many miles and it looks and runs well I don't think you can go wrong.

JEFF - Sounds like a good car your looking at there. Just a suggestion, but I'd put a spot light on the front left A-pillar, and a luggage rack on the roof. Make it look more like a unmarked patrol car.

With today's oils & filters, both engine oil & air filters the idea that cars are "wore out" in 100,000 miles just isn't true anymore. With normal maintenance you should run 200,000 or more miles with not much extra expense.

That car your looking at must not sat idling much, the average speed is over 31 MPH.

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought a P71 crown vic, in the last pics the white streaks are snow flakes blowing by.

This vic has 100050 miles and 2600 hours of idle time. I also recieved its complete history print out from the sheriffs dept. everything from oil changes to tire replacement with dates and milage.

257389.jpg

257390.jpg

257391.jpg

257392.jpg

257393.jpg

Jeff, having worked on a few of these over the years, id say you're good to go. The tire size is a fairly common one so replacements, when needed, are easy to find and not as costly as other sizes. Most common part failure I've seen is ball joints which aren't hard to replace at
all. Id make sure the trans fluid is good to go, have flush and filter done if necessary. Lastly, if the spark plugs havebt been changed id do those before too long. Ford engines like the 4.6 really like to hold onto their original plugs for some reason. Aluminum cylinder heads has some to do with it, though not nearly as nad as the 5.4 3 valve engines, those break plugs almost everytime. Just my two cents from a mechanic standpoint. Looks nice, they ride pretty nice as well.

Joeseph thanks for the heads up on the items to check. This vic was very well maintained by the Boone County Mo. Sheriffs Dept.

It has had tires,battery,pads and rotors on all 4,trans service,full-tuneup with induction cleaning, and coolant flush.
All in the last 15000 miles
It has a 3 page vehicle work history all good

I will keep an eye on those ball joints..

Good looking car Jeff! My buddy is a cop, and loves the Crown Victoria. He even bought 2007 P71 for himself to mess around with. We took it on a trip a couple weeks ago, and had some fun with it on the way. Yup, still does over 100 mph...just sayin lol.
BTW thats low hours for a Police Vic!

Scott don't be sorry that scene is one of my favorite scenes.

My vic has a rare option that is still intact.
FSS- when the red button is pushed, several nozzles drop from beneath and spray a fire suppressent.
Jeff I had this one up to 80 and that seemed effort-less for this car.

257654.jpg

257655.jpg

Any thoughts on what oil to put into her for the rest of her life?

weight and brand

Jeff, motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend, you can get it and a motorcraft filter at walmart quite reasonable. Had good luck running that in the 4.6's and 5.4's. Just my two cents.

JEFF - I agree with Joseph, Motorcraft 5W20 synthetic blend was what I used in my Wife's 4.6L 2003 Mountaineer for the first 3-4 yrs until my local Blain's F&F started handling 5W20 Mobil 1. Car now has 175,000 miles, maybe a bit over that. Still runs good, uses about a half quart of oil in 5000 miles.

At the time I was using the Motorcraft oil the only place I could get it was my local Ford store otherwise I wouldn't have switched.

My son drove a crown Vic with 230,000 on it and it used 5W20 synthetic blend ford oil and ford filter.I have a 2011F150 and a 2006 mercury that use it also.

My parents have a Crown Vic for sale in VA a whole lot like the one Jeff posted. I wouldn't mind having it, but I need another truck to pull my cubs around with. Sounds like these cars are real reliable. I know my parents haven't had any trouble with theirs either, but dad saw a Lincoln Towncar he just had to have.

Latest posts

Back