• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Crown Vics P71

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff: Thanks for posting the "cool info," I'm trying to track down the source of a water leak on the driver's side of my 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis (civilian version). I hope my post isn't off-topic, but I believe much of the info applies to my case (and others).

jeremiah MGMs and vics are about the same. so where is this leak from and what is it? window leak or coolant leak?

It seems to be coming in from the upper left corner of the firewall, it drips onto the floor about an inch from the door, even with the door hinge. I first noticed it after rolling up the windows after a storm went through. The floor was dry, but the seats were wet. After it rained the rest of the night, I came out to discover water on the floor which had NOT been there when the windows were open. I've been monitoring the situation since. The first suspect was the windshield glass itself, but after scanning your link, I think I'm going to take a much closer look at the firewall.

Thanks again for the link.

Edit: I think I'll start with the hood latch cable grommet.

Jeremiah-
Any luck on figuring a fix? My daughter's Merc does the same thing. Drive it during a heavy rain, and water drips on your left ankle. Leave it parked in a heavy rain, and the left side of the floor mat gets wet.

Art: Nothing yet, like a roof in fair weather, since it hasn't rained much lately, I haven't been bothered by it. Got a day off tomorrow (probably today when you're reading this), I may take a closer look -- or Saturday (I'm off on that day too.). I'll keep you posted.

Jeremiah time to sit in the car and take a hose to it.

a new picture of mine

308299.jpg

well 1st is after the guardrail (it won) took me 3 weeks to put her back together, heres a few shots post repair

312985.jpg

312987.jpg

312986.jpg

Looks good Jeff!!! Glad you got it put back together.....

Last weekend, I put spark plugs in my 2000 P71 (black one in the pics on here), and they have all stayed in, so far.

Next on the list is a ball joint(s) on mine, (the 07 gray one) since it started squeaking a couple weeks back......

Between all the vehicles and the Cubs, it seems like there is always something that needs wrenched on..... but that is part of the fun....

thanks guys, hopefully this leads to me posting more often.

scott them ball joints are a pain to get out without a press. I went with new lower control arm and upper A arm that came with bushings because of possible bending from the accident.

I plan on doing the drivers side in the summer and again will change it all out to new including the outer tie rod.

Jeff,

Just to be clear, you said the ball joints are a bear without a press.

Do you mean a ball joint press (the C-Clamp type press), or do you mean a shop press (the I-Beam and hydraulic jack thing)?

I have to do ball joints on my 07 P71 and my 03 Excursion 4x4 (again, don't by the $20 each joints for a diesel....) and was going to get a ball joint press kit (the C-Clamp thing). If a shop press would work better, Horrible Freight has a "small" one for not much more than the ball joint kit......

The last time I did the ball joints on the Excursion, I used a buddies ball joint press, which sucked, but worked. I had to lean on the breaker bar and press to get it apart (and my lean is a bit more than most, I'm 6'4" and about 375.. and it took everything I had to get them out.....)

Scott I have that press(c-clamp) and it works. Used it several times now. One word of caution, if you think it's not moving, it isn't. I've put pressure on it and tapped my lower control arm with a hammer to see it move. On a 08 f150. I've done a couple Ford super duties, ranger, Chevy, and a car(forget what it was) with no issue. I used it side by side with a Snap off and you could feel the difference, but being a shade tree mechanic it's worked fine. I've had my truck long enough to change my ball joints twice now, with same tool.

I have a ball joint press tool and on the crown vic it just would not fit right to press them out, they are tight fit, so I was going to have to pull the control arms upper and lower to press them out on a stand up press.
I bought new upper and lower control arms with joints installed, was not that much more. And with the P71 while your there splurge and do new sway bar links, with street patrol the sway links go bad. and since its apart do your outer tie rod link. I know you will think cost but trust me it will be night and day difference with our cop cars.

My car now just feels awesome to steer and control, and remember it was a "total loss"

Thanks for the info on the press. Sway bar end links are already on the list, as the passenger front is worn, and when I go over a bump, it sounds like a busted shock. I am familiar with the "song and dance" to get the end links on, as the 2000 was popping and clunking when I bought it. I may do TRE's since I am at 153,000 miles. I am also going to do fresh pads all 'round and new rotors on the rear. One is warped and I get the nice pulse when I stop.

Right now there are 5 vehicles on the property, 4 will move under their own power, all need something, the list for my 07 P71 is the shortest, but 2 need ball joints, and the others need at least something minor, and the latest acquisition, is my oldest son's 92 F-250 2wd Regular Cab Diesel (IDI). It needs some love the PO didn't give it. So I have a letter sized "legal pad" that I've been making lists for all 5 vehicles, and I have one whole sheet nearly full.......

Well, that didn't end up as planned.

Got a call last evening, "It's making that noise again"...... Ok, where are you, I'm on the way....

So I grabbed a 7mm socket, short extension, ratchet and a flashlight.

Got to the car, removed the 7mm bolt holding the coil pack in, pulled the coil pack and spark plug out, and threw it in the center console, unplugged the injector, and nursed the car home....

Ordered the kit tonight, should be here later in the week...... I will report back how it works out.

Was there a "changeover" year that this is less likely to happen? The 2000 doesn't really surprise me..... but do I have the same chance of this happening with the 07? At least I will have the kit, and can get more inserts (it comes with 8)..... hopefully the other 7 stay in the case.....

Back