• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to IH Cub Cadet Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Parts Wanted Creeper gear for 128

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstewart

IHCC Supporter
displayname
jon stewart
Now that I have a gear drive, I'd like to outfit it with a creeper gear..................................how hard are they to find?

You may be able to convince the seller to remove the creeper, and ship only that unit to you in exchange for giving him rights to sell the remainder of the tractor again. But you'll have to pay his full price, I'm sure. Or keep shopping/looking.

I agree that Creepers are around and generally available but demand for them is also pretty good, even the units that are known to have failed are good for many parts.

Also most of the units around seem to be for narrow frame tractors and your 128 is a wide frame. The Creeper itself is the same. The only difference is the wide frame requires a little different handle. Some guys have been able to just bend the handle a little and add the handle extension so it can be used in a wide frame, but I don't like doing that.

In my view, having rebuilt at least a dozen or more I'd never install a used unit without tearing apart and verifying everything is in good working condition. Common parts like the bearing and front seal and all the various O-rings and spirol pins are not expensive and I always replaced. Other parts like the shifter yoke and handle cost a little more but are often worn and need replacement to work correctly. There are other parts that could be worn and near failure that get somewhat expensive to replace.

Many of the parts are NLA from Cub Cadet but CC Specialties (colorful box at top of the page) has many of these items. I see he doesn't currently have complete creepers available but he's probably working on getting some. Also, I noticed he doesn't have the planetary gears and each Creeper has 3 of these little gears. Sometimes they have little chips missing (or ruining other parts) and should be replaced. You may have to buy a parts Creeper to get 1 or 2 of these gears.

Also, you want to make sure the Creeper main shaft has a good hole on the front for the spirol pin that couples it to the drive shaft. It's often wallowed and will need repair by a good welder and machinist. The shaft has a gear built on it and replacements have been NLA for quite some time.

So, my best advice is to contact Charlie at CC Specialties (send an email) and see if he will have any overhauled units. Or if you like doing the work yourself, buy a unit and disassemble to check everything. It'll take a little to figure it out. Make sure you have the Service Manual for diagrams and info, but I don't think it explains disassembly very well. Pulling the bearing cage out of the front is a little hard once you've removed the seal and snap ring on the main shaft, and the handle and yoke and coupler from the rear. Getting the bearing cage back in with the new O-ring is actually harder. If you go this route please be prepared to buy a 2nd unit along with some new parts.

Back