• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cream white color on dash tower

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike ligus

Is the cream white IH color correct for a 169, dash tower repaint seams the hood is more white but who knows if it has been painted over the years. I think cream color will look nice.

Is the cream white IH color correct for a 169, dash tower repaint seams the hood is more white but who knows if it has been painted over the years. I think cream color will look nice.
IH-935 white is the correct white. (y)
1626186196996.png

So this color in the can more of just a white? Is the cream white a mtd cub color. I try to see if the hood color has been changed. They scraped all the decals off or painted them. For some reason they did not want it to say IH or cub cadet. I guess 169 decals are not as common either. I see a faint blue strip still showing above cub

You can still get the decals. CCSpecialties has them (icon at top of page). The dash is made of fiberglass, and may be why the hood looks a different color. It more than likely has been painted though, from what you are saying. Pictures would help tremendously.
IH-935 is an "off-white" color.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

I noticed 169 decals do not seem to be as available as other ih model's. I hope to find the hood decal with blue stripe and the front grill IH INSERT decal.

Odd factoid regarding the Cub Cadet White: I happen to have a two-tone '56 Chevy and the India Ivory appears to be the exact same as the Cub Cadet White. Don't know if I should risk using my rainy day stash of India Ivory on the tractor because then Murphy's Law will come into play and I'll need it on the car.

Henry, If you are worried about using up your current stash, Just take the can of paint to your local auto paint store and they will scan it with a electron scanner and mix you more of the exact same color.. Paint matching has come a long ways in the last 30 years...

Paint now available that is call Cub Cadet White, or Cub Cadet Yellow is the new MTD Yellow and white.

The white and yellow on the IH Cub Cadets (at least the later ones) the IH-935 white is the correct color. You are looking for International Harvester White, and Internation al Harvester Yellow (federal Yellow).

I have a picture on here of my 1450 and 1650, and my 2020 CC ZTR.... you can really see the difference in the yellow. The IH Federal Yellow to me is a brighter yellow, the new CC yellow is a bit darker..

My cub has been repainted the wrong color at some point.
this Krylon is really close to the original. I have been using it when I need to for things I fix as a “touch up”. If I were going to restore the finish all over I’d be sure to use OE colors. I’d most likely have them mixed at an auto paint supply in true Acrylic Enamel or Urethane. For the durability from UV.
877C0315-A65B-480B-B25B-C01844F3F829.jpeg

Last edited:
Last tractor we painted was in 1980-81 when pulled and replaced the engine in Dad’s #1 149. We used the VanSlyke IH White and IH Yellow from Tractor Supply. It was the “correct” color and has held up well on our worker tractor…. The rest of them have not been painted….. they are as we have acquired them….

Here is the 149 we painted:

P7210004.JPG
P7210006.JPG

Last edited:
Yes I only look at the cans that say IH . The cub labeled stuff is for the China made cubs cadets. That is why I tinker with a 1974 made tractor instead of one made today

I hate to say it, but the new Cub Cadets are not made in China, they are made in Tennessee. They are also not as bad as everyone tries to make them out to be. There are members on here, including me, that have newer Cub Cadet equipment and are very happy with it. We have many older Cub Cadets that still get used all the time. Dad uses a 782 and/or a Quietline to mow every week. I have my 1450 out at least once a week for something. But my primary mower, push mower and string trimmer are all Cub Cadet's. All I've had to do with any of them is routine maintenance, and sharpen the blades (or add/replace string). If you look in other threads, there are members that really like their new CC stuff. Yes, there are some that have had issues.... but, back in the day, so did the old stuff when it was new. I remember at least once Dad's 149 above had to go back to the dealer to have something addressed when it was new. Does that make it "bad" or "junk", no..... because that tractor is still a worker in our fleet today. Has it needed work, absolutely...

The other thing you have to remember, the XT1 level lawn tractor is just that... a lawn tractor.... just like the 76/80/1,2,382's back in the day. You want a new CC that is like our old stuff... you are going to have to step up to one of the XT3's that is $5000+, which if you put the $1000-1500 these Quietlines and 82 Series were into an inflation calculator, they would be $5000 plus also.....

I know they are not built the same as back in day.... but they are not automatically junk. I see this all the time on various forums. I have a 6.0 PSD in my Excursion.... EVERYONE tells me how bad they have heard that engine is, and it is junk. Mind you, they have never owned a 6.0, but they KNOW how bad it is. I've had mine for 14 trouble free years...... so is it really junk? Same as the Cub Cadets..... I own them... so I know how they perform and work.... not just "what I heard / read on the internet"......

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have an old MTD push mower that I love and still runs. I just assume the way I some put down the newer cubs that they got taken over like everything in this country.

Sold out would be more like the truth!

Yep, it was one of the divisions making money in the late 70's for IH. They knew they could sell it off and make some money trying to keep the Ag and Truck divisions going. The early 80's when they sold it to MTD, is the same time frame they killed off the Light Line vehicles (Pickups, Scout, Travelall) and sold the construction stuff to Dresser (I believe). So from the 80-81 time frame IH was trying to save what was left, (which is the same time they put out the 88 Series Farm Tractors) and we all know how that worked out. In 85 they sold the Ag division to J.I. Case (Tenneco) and went to just trucks/busses and engines. What we now know as Navistar, which it the Engine, and Truck and Bus Company is all that is left of the IH that we know. Even that name change did a bunch of damage. In 86 or 87, they started selling the trucks under the Navistar name (They actually said Navistar on the grille) and NOBODY bought them, since they didn't know who Navistar was. The name change lasted 1 model year, and then they changed the name to International Truck and Bus Company, and Navistar engines. The IH Engine Plant / Foundry that was here in Indianapolis on Brookville Road, (they made all the 6.9/7.3 IDI, 7.3/6.0/6.4 PSD engines used in Ford trucks and the IH versions also) had a Navistar sign out front until the day they closed the plant in ~2008.

The big strike and bad management in the late 70's is what killed the IH we all know and love.....

The very first “Quality” lawn tractor I owned was a 1965 JD 110, 8 HP Kohler 38” cut 3 blade deck. Paid 500$ for it in 1979. All the ag tractor companies used to have a lawn (little brother) line. I’ve owned at 1 time or another the JD, Massey Ferguson, Allis-Chalmers,Case, and this 106 Cub Cadet. I like this Cub better than any of the others.

Back