• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Couplings Drive Shafts and Cubs

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
Looks to me like these things could handle the flex.
All Lovejoy 1000 Series grid coupling models handle parallel, angular and axial misalignment between shafts.
Grid flexibility accommodates up to 0.56mm of parallel offset.
Under angular misalignment up to 0.25 degrees, a rocking and sliding action of grid and hubs permits smooth operation without any loss of power.

Charlie,
What horsepower are they rated for? Some of those lovejoy couplers are only rated for a couple hp.

Another concern would be if they can handle a shaft that isn't supported by bearings as the driveshaft would be as it sits between 2 of these couplers. Maybe it would tend to oscillate a bit.

John

Charlie - all you'd have to do is to make new # 9 & # 16 parts with a smooth bore cross drilled for the shafts. (did you get the pic I sent you last night?)

John - it'd be self-centering as long as everything is in alignment and wouldn't need any support.

Todd - you've been playing with to little of Love Joy's ;)

Another idea would be 2 sprockets (one per shaft end) butted up with a chain around them. I have a drive like that in the junk pile that came on my little Payloader. It wouldn't handle any misalignment though.

I like the MTD Cub shaft with the 8 rubber cylinders in the hubs on the shaft. They'll take quite a bit of misalignment (within reason).

On the Lovejoy, the only part I don't have figured out is how to attach it to the engine.

John

Digger yer biscuts are ready !
23142.jpg

Todd M,
You can get'um rated for over 1000 HP, but it was just a thought I had in passing, grin

Kentuck,
Grab one real quick and tell us if it's ready yet!

Kentucky,

Is that furnace something you made or a commericial unit? Pretty cool you can do your own hardening.

J

Digger you could have swept the floor before you snapped the pic ! You should have waited until that meter hit 1500ºF

JL yeah but I don't like the electric bill for it. Next time I buy an element I'll know to get a 220v one ! I need to build a real heat treat oven but I'm sooooooo <strike>lazy</strike> busy ...

Charlie now I've got ya something in the making fer yer kornbred , just gotta get the door made and the legs and the variable voltage control and sandblast it and paint it and ... maybe find a Pyrex glass for a window in the door before casting it , seems tempered glass is only good for about 250ºF NOT 1500ºF+
happy.gif

23622.jpg
23623.jpg

at 1290º one side element fell out and burnt in two ;( It set for a couple of days and I had a fan blowing in it and I heated it with the elements several times for short periods and it still had a lot of moisture content. At least the light above the table is nice and clean now ;)
23677.jpg
23678.jpg
23679.jpg

Dave,
Why do you need to do that? Do the rubber boots rip apart? Or are you putting in a different engine and the drive shaft doesn't line up?

Well, Terry, the topic was on engine-driveline couplers... and I did my 109 a year and a half ago... that was what I came up with.

The 109 had a common problem- the engine coupler (pin in slot arrangement) had worn the pin seriously thin, and the slot had about 40 degrees of rotational slop too. The end of the driveshaft was also 'bell shaped' from wearing against a crooked load. In my 109, Nothing was bent, nothing was loose... but looking at the driveline, the line didn't run straight from the git-go, so it was only a matter-of-time before the OEM coupling method would die.

One of the not-so-obvious problems with the original coupling method, was that... in order to remove the driveshaft, the engine would have to be pulled out, at least partially... that'd allow the 'anti-launch' pin to be disengaged from the 'rag' joint at the hydrostat end. I didn't like this.

The STOCK driveline doesn't run perfectly straight, AND, when the frame flexes (and it does), it becomes much less than perfectly straight, and the front coupler leaves NO compliance.

The last problem, is that they put a 4" rag joint about 3" from a 4.5" cooling fan. I didn't think much of that, either.

So, I dealt with all the issues at once. IN selecting parts, I found that the most suitable combination of parts, was to use a rag joint (which allows for a little fore-aft compliance) with a U-joint (which allows non-coplanar drive with minimal wear). I resolved the coupler-pin issue by moving the rag-joint up to the engine-end, and mounted this joint in back, with fan right by it, now unrestricted of airflow to the hydrostat. As a bonus, locating the grease-fitting to the Hydro side allows me to remove the front joint's allen-bolt pin, then I can unbolt the rag-joint, slide the driveshaft almost 3" straight back, drop it to one side, and slide it forward, and out of the tractor, without ever touching the engine mount bolts! It's a stout, smooth, and very quiet driveline, has greater tolerance for malignment, doesn't adversely put any 'funny' forces on the tractor, and costs same or less than a new rag-joint assembly. It doesn't have the risks of being 'launched' like a broken LoveJoy (they specify that the driveline MUST be supported at both ends) and doesn't make the racket or have the speed limitations of a double-link sprocket-chain-type coupler... plus, it's easier to install and remove than the others.
To it's downside, it does put the fan a tad close to the lift arm, which can be resolved easily by trimming the lift-arm's pins and skimming a little off the fan. It also requires a little TLC in getting the yoke drilled square with the existing drilled-tapped set-screw hole, and you'll need to make the 'special' allen-head pins that retain the U-joint on shafts, but it's not too hard to do, even with just a drill press and 4" angle-grinder. Moving the rag-joint to the engine-end requires some cutting and welding, but nothing that can't be done with ordinary tools and a savvy operator. When it's all done, it looks stock!

Here's what the front end of that driveshaft looks like, Terry!

24295.jpg

Here's what the pin-coupler looked like when I pulled it out:

24296.jpg

and info on the U-joint assembly:
----------------------------------------
The yokes come with a keyway AND drilled/tapped for a set-screw. I drill through the rest of the way, using the same drill-size to fit the roll-pin OD.
Instead of using a roll pin, I cut the threads off of, and turn down the shank of an allen-head machine screw.
24297.jpg

The pin doesn't require a hammer to install or remove (sorry Kenny!), and it's very secure.

Driveshaft U-joint kit for 5/8 shafts;
-Yoke is SKF 10-4373 (supplier #70719 72) $11.75 each (2 req'd)
-Joint is SKF 1-0170 (supplier 70719) $6.00 each (1 req'd)Chicago Rawhide

These joints can be obtained thru Bearing Distributors, Davenport, Iowa - 563-386-4159, or by any other bearing company- just tell your friendly parts guy that they're distributed by Chicago Rawhide.

Terry, I also had the same problems as Dave with the driveline on my 109. It was shot!
thumbsdown.gif
Did Dave's mods and love it. I used a coupler from a QL on the rag joint to the engine.

John
24310.jpg

Well, crap... the write-up is 750k, and the forum limit is 50k. Guess I won't be posting the PDF after all.

If anyone would like a copy of my driveshaft mod setup in PDF format, drop me a note, and I'll attach a copy to 'ya.

(Message edited by dkamp on December 23, 2004)

I highly recommend getting Dave's drive shaft modification write up. It's got some good info and it's a highly entertaining read. Thanks Dave!

oh gawd! I thought it was just pictures !

For large files I highly recommend a program called HJ Split. It'll take a large file of any kind and bust it up into whatever size of bytes you set it for and make multiple small files. Then HJ Join will put them all back into one working file again. I've used it to bust up 24meg files into emailable size files.

Join is small enough to post here but Split is 174k ... ;(
24377.gif

24378.gif

Latest posts

Back