• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cork Gasket Sealant

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgunn

displayname
David W Gunn
I will be replacing the cork gasket on the hydro of one of my 149s. I'd like to know what gasket sealants folks have used that have proven to be successful. I know one side of the gasket already has a tacky adhesive applied so nothing would be used there.

I use permatex #2 or #2 aviation gasket sealant. There are other variations of gasket sealer that will also work.

Just don't use RTV...

Fully rebuilt a K241 this past summer. Have about 5 hours on it. Without any adhesive, there are no leaks...

They have improved the cork gasket by adding some type of rubber. I buy rubber impregnated fuel bowel and gas cap gaskets from Peterson and they work great. When I did my 147 hydro gasket I used a neoprene gasket that that I got years ago from a forum member who was making them at the time.

The Gasket sealants serve multiple purposes. The primary function is to "fill" imperfections in mating surfaces that a gasket may not be able to, mostly paper gaskets, Cork usually does not have an issue with this. The sealant can be used to secure most gaskets to proper location to prevent it from slipping while attempting installation of the component. A good sealant can be used in place of a gasket for a situation where a gasket may not be available. Never use a sealant on a gasket between two compression components, ie: head gaskets etc ( you can use copper seal on most of these) . Throughout my 40+ years as an auto tech and small engine tech I find the Permatex brand is one of the best and have wide variety for different applications.

Lifetime mechanic- I try to never use additional sealant, especially on a cork gasket. “Maybe” if the sealing surface is pitted or scratched. I agree with Mike and Digger. Wasn’t used at the factory, so no reason to add goop.

Thank you all for your input. Good stuff. I'll go with the factory technique on this first go round. I have to replace the cork gasket on my second machine too but I will wait to see how this first one works out.

Back