• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Considering purchasing a 451 snow thrower

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Eechaute

I am considering a used 451 snow thrower for my 1864 Cub. To those who have these throwers what experiences have you had with yours? Any problems with them? Dean

if you are snow blowing a gravel drive you will need to keep the blower raised a few inches otherwise the gravel will destroy the plastic discharge chute. I swapped mine with a JD metal chute and have never had a problem with it. in the spring/summer you probably should take it apart check for wear and change the grease in the two gear boxes. I love mine and snow blow about 1/4 mile of gravel drive and my 2 retired neighbors' drives for over ten years with not a single issue (occasional shear pin)

No gravel but about 200 ft of sealed asphalt driveway. Putting this on my 1864 garden tractor. Do ya need much wheel weight to keep this moving forward? (This will have 350lbs of driver on top of it). Dean

Last edited:
I have 300 pounds of me, a full steel sims cab, three point with a blade,150 pounds of wheel weights, loaded(foam filled) tires and chains on a 2182(250 pounds heavier than 1864). it is a very heavy snow blower cantilevered off the front of your tractor - a lot of weight and chains are a requirement in my opinion. I have also found that steering becomes difficult when the blower weight is completely off the front end - let's call is severe understeer!

if you are snow blowing a gravel drive you will need to keep the blower raised a few inches otherwise the gravel will destroy the plastic discharge chute. I swapped mine with a JD metal chute and have never had a problem with it. in the spring/summer you probably should take it apart check for wear and change the grease in the two gear boxes. I love mine and snow blow about 1/4 mile of gravel drive and my 2 retired neighbors' drives for over ten years with not a single issue (occasional shear pin)
What are mounting this to? Does it feel very front heavy when you raise it up? Using much wheel weights to make this all work? Dean

I have used this blower for 25 years on my 1641 (little sister to the 1864). This is a great snow blower. I have sheered one pin, replaced the plastic chute 4 times and the belt once (just last year). I have used it on two different driveways. The stone/gravel driveway you definitely need to raise the blower up to make sure not to get gravel or stone, this is how I broke 3 of the chutes, and you will want chains. On the asphalt driveway it is a dream. I don't use chains as I found that it slips and marks up the driveway pretty good. For weight I just have myself (230lb) and 150lb wheel weights on original turf tires. I have never really had a problem getting around on the asphalt. My driveway is 150' long and on an incline. I make my first pass down and then up and back down the rest of the clearing. Moving forward I never have a problem but trying to back up the driveway it will slip half the time. It will throw snow pretty far so you never need to worry about snow banks around the driveway. You won't be disappointed with this blower, especially on a 1864 that has the power steering.

chains and wheel weights are a must, also I spray Pam on the inside of the discharge chute, this setup will definitely throw the snow

proessler
Add a little more air pressure in fronts , 200# weights on Cat.O 3 point A -Frame , 50# on each rear & WW fluid in rears. & + my 200#...

Thanks for everyone's input. After some time thinking about this set up I decided to purchase a new commercial Toro snow thrower. My driveway is sealed asphalt and I really don't want to use chains. There is a bit of drop where the driveway meets the main road and I'm afraid on turf tires I would get stuck especially with no way to engage both rear wheels and just wheel weights. Just a lot of money to put into a 28 year old Cadet with no guarantee on exactly what shape the blower was in. Dean

Thanks for everyone's input. After some time thinking about this set up I decided to purchase a new commercial Toro snow thrower. My driveway is sealed asphalt and I really don't want to use chains. There is a bit of drop where the driveway meets the main road and I'm afraid on turf tires I would get stuck especially with no way to engage both rear wheels and just wheel weights. Just a lot of money to put into a 28 year old Cadet with no guarantee on exactly what shape the blower was in. Dean
you will still need chains on what ever you get, unless you like spinning your wheels

you will still need chains on what ever you get, unless you like spinning your wheels
Possibly, the big difference is I will be putting all the weight on two drive wheels. This is a heavy commercial grade Toro snow thrower. Tall skinny tires with a very aggressive tread. If I do need chains at least they will spin less that what I was considering with the 1864 set up with only one drive wheel and turf tires. Dean

Charlie (Digger) had a set of rubber straps that mounted to the wheel just like regular chains. I believe he had good results with them and they didn't mark up the driveway. Maybe he'll see this and reply or just ask him .

Possibly, the big difference is I will be putting all the weight on two drive wheels. This is a heavy commercial grade Toro snow thrower. Tall skinny tires with a very aggressive tread. If I do need chains at least they will spin less that what I was considering with the 1864 set up with only one drive wheel and turf tires. Dean
if you have any ice it all you will need chains

You could also find a spare set of rims and mount snow tires on them if not enough grip add a few tire studs

Back