• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Compressor issue

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfischer

displayname
Chuck Fischer
i broke a nipple off in my compressor, tried using a cold chisel to remove it and it wouldn't budge... any advice?

Also, there is no budging the giant plug in this tank.

245121.jpg

a bunch of heat on the big plug and make the big one come out with a cheater bar

Chuck, I removed the big plug like that on my compressor like Jeff said a bunch of heat and a 10' Cheater pipe. Yes I mean 10 Foot. I bought the large crescent wrench set from HF and found a piece of square tube that fit over it and hung off the cheater. I finally did get the plug out. If that doesn't work you'll have to drill it out and retap with the appropriate pipe tap. May have to move up to the next size.

Chuck drill the nipple ouy to the root of the threads use a small pick to work out the remaining threads. Another option drill it out to the next size thread and tap new. Make sure you use the correct drill size for the selected thread size.
Albert

CHUCK - Did you get the pipe plug out? SON was working on getting his Quincy 40+ yr old compressor working about the time you posted, he wanted to pull the big plug from his 80 gal tank. I told him to try all the things that were suggested here, then weld a BIG HOT bead of weld around the outside hex or square on the plug just inside the pipe threads. The heat of welding is pretty good at releasing things from a siezed rusted condition.

Wondering what, if any, kind of auto tank drain you guys are using on your compressors. Been looking at different ones on E-bay and the prices are all over the map from $35 on up.
Would probably need one with 1/4" pipe thread. Looking at the one with the remote valve located on the upper end of the tank w/tube running to the bottom side.

Thoughts anyone??
Dave S

I got tired of getting down on the floor to open the drain on my compressor, so I removed the drain and ran a short piece of hose from the bottom of the tank to a blow gun fastened to the boards under the legs of the compressor. Now, all I have to do is hit the trigger on the blow gun with my foot and it blows out the water.

I got tired of getting down on the floor to open the drain on my compressor, so I removed the drain and ran a short piece of hose from the bottom of the tank to a blow gun fastened to the boards under the legs of the compressor. Now, all I have to do is hit the trigger on the blow gun with my foot and it blows out the water.
I'm going to give that a try.

Adam, neat idea...I did something similar..ran hard pipe outside of comp. ,a on or off valve then 3/8 hose to doorway. I do have to bend over tho...
Did the same. Another compressor I have, i leave the valve opened a pinch. It weeps air when in use then totally drains air and moisture when not in use. With it always draining, it never really spills water on the floor

Did the same. Another compressor I have, i leave the valve opened a pinch. It weeps air when in use then totally drains air and moisture when not in use. With it always draining, it never really spills water on the floor

I would recommend not doing this, and instead blowing the water out periodically but leave the tank aired up. Going from zero to operating pressure every time you use the compressor is much harder on the tank than having it work between the pressure at which the pump comes on and turns off.

I have removed lots of pipe plugs, both internal and external, that would not loosen, by first tightning them more, just 5 t0 degrees to break the SET. They can be loosened. TRY IT

Back