• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Command 18 governor help

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkattner

displayname
Brian Kattner
Anyone familiar with the Command twins? I put a CH18 in my 782 3 years ago. It's run good, but had a front cover leak, so this summer I pulled it and resealed the cover. I've reassembled the engine and started it, and it has no governor activity whatsoever. It will idle, but as soon as I give it throttle, it overrevs, and won't come back down. I've followed the Kohler manual governor adjustment procedure to no avail. I compared how it is set to my 3204, and they seem similar. When I reassembled the cover, it was a bit difficult......thinking I broke the governor gear, I pulled the engine again, pulled the cover, and the gear isn't broken, and the weights and plunger seem to be in place. Now I'm lost. The gear doesn't show signs of damage either. Any ideas? Appreciate any thoughts. I'm scratching my head on this one.

I had something like that happen with one of mine when I had the governor linkage off to replace the breather gasket. There seems to be some sort of relationship in that goofy linkage that has to be reset manually. With mine, I started the tractor, and then when I revved the engine up and it tried to run away, I grabbed the linkage rod to the carb and manually moved it towards idle, and then...all was well again. I can't explain what that did or why it worked, but it fixed it.

Thanks Matt. I'm going to have to mess with it to see if I can figure out why it isn't working correctly.

Back