• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

color of primer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cub1961

i’ll throw another one out there. i used black rusoleum primer under the ironguard yellow on the touch up i did on my first 100. what color primer do you guys use? getting ready to do another similar. i know the factory was red.

i’ll throw another one out there. i used black rusoleum primer under the ironguard yellow on the touch up i did on my first 100. what color primer do you guys use? getting ready to do another similar. i know the factory was red.
Actually there was no primer on old Cubs. They used lead based paint that didn't need it.
Back in the day red oxide was used, but today gray is most everyone's color of choice.
Personally I use light green self etching primer on anything I paint.

Is that the primer you used on this, Charlie?
1661553172964.jpeg

Back in the day they used metal etching solution for a base.. It is an acidic solution that allows the paint to grip to the surface... I used to use it years ago painting equipment at a place I worked... It worked pretty well... Me I would not use rustoleum under an oil base paint as rustoleum is a linseed oil base paint.. They really don't like each other..

Rustoleum automotive primer works well with Case IH Irongard. It is grey in color.
Rustoleum rusty metal primer DOES NOT!!!

Rustoleum automotive primer works well with Case IH Irongard. It is grey in color.
Rustoleum rusty metal primer DOES NOT!!!
They are both linseed oil paints.. You don't mix apples and oranges.. Keep it all the same and you will have better results..

They are both linseed oil paints.. You don't mix apples and oranges.. Keep it all the same and you will have better results..

A trick that I learned years ago was to remove ALL paint ( sand blast, sanding , etc) and then paint Dupont Imron on the bare metal . It will bond to the bare metal and not chip.

Just showing proof that Rustoleum automotive primer WILL work fine with Case IH Irongard. There is a big difference between the automotive primer and the rusty metal primer.
The 128 is a worker tractor, and has working marks on it. Other than that, the paint still looks great after 13 years.

DSCF0652.JPG

Here are pics of mixed apples and oranges, the results look just fine to me! :errrr:

Wow those are beautiful!
Are the 100’s hydraulics original, or did you add them?
There isn’t much that 100 doesn’t feature, other than dirt under her fingernails!
(plenty under yours, I reckon)
Keep up the good work!

Back