• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cold Starting question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edale

displayname
Everett Dale
It Got down to 18 degrees F here in Chattaroy Washington last week, and I had a bit of trouble getting my 982 with an Onan engine to start. The cold snap was a little early so I still haven't switched to the winter oil yet (I'm thinking synthetic multi weight) but I don't think it should have given me that much trouble.

The starter was able to crank the engine fine, and at 1/4 throttle and full choke it would cough a few time but not start. Then a little bit of adjusting of both throttle and choke would get it to start but when I increased the throttle it would just die.

Any suggestions? It starts great at anything above 40F

-everettdale

Everett Dale: Sounds like you may have a fuel pump problem (likely the diaphram)...a re-build will work and I strongly recommend you install an inline fuel cut off valve in the fuel line where it comes up on top of the left side of engine going toward the fuel pump on the right side of the engine. Then use it every time!! This will save your fuel pump diaphram in the future. That's what I did to mine and cured that hard starting problem.

The fuel pump is Onan Prt # ME-149-1982
The diaphram part # is: ME-142-0555

Sorry, I do not have any ONAN parts available.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Myron, Thanks for the info. I shoulda figured it was the fuel pump.

anyways. I'm am having trouble finding a diaphragm for that pump, but I can buy a whole new pump for $135.00. Yikes. Anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit or just the diaphragm?

and I was thinking I would put an inline check valve right before the pump rather then a petcock. anyone know if that will work and where to get one that is rated for gas?

-everettdale

Latest posts

Back