• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Clutch issue

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcarl

displayname
Bruce Carl
I’ve been putting off repairing the clutch on my 122 since last fall. When I was plowing the garden today I heard some loud noises. When I checked the release bearing didn’t look quite right. When I pulled it out this is what I found. 6C7DA3E5-252C-4741-8C03-EA6F57D0AE04.jpeg
The teaser spring and compression spring were also in bad shape, The shaft also had a deep grove wore by the release bearing.
Lucky I have an extra shaft. I have an order in to Charlie for springs and release bearing. Fortunately the 147 can take over garden duties once I take the snowblower off.

Finally got the clutch rebuild installed. Had to come up with a way to compress the main spring far enough to get the spiral pin in. A bottle jack and a work bench fastened to the wall in my garage worked well. I used a notched piece of half inch electrical conduit to slide over the driveshaft and compress the spring. Worked good no more strange noises. I even installed the clutch rattle springs. And then the starter didn’t work anymore. Clicking at the solenoid. After checking grounds and electrical system, I determined it was the sg. Pulled the sg apart and a wire to a terminal was lose. Soldered it back together and runs great. Good I retired earlier this month. What I thought would be a one day job turned into two.

Back