• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cleaning Out 129 Hydro Housing

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgunn

displayname
David W Gunn
I recently picked up a 129 to use as a spare parts machine for my 149s. After messing around with it for a little while I realized it could be a runner with just some TLC, well a good amount of TLC. Regardless I'm not willing to turn a runner into scrap or a pile of parts. The hydro cover plate had some serious gasket leakage so I got a new one. I saw the previous users had seriously over tightened the cover bolts trying to stop the leakage and in so doing bent the cover at the bolt holes. In prepping for installation of the new gasket I see the inside of the housing has a lot of the old hydro fluid gel coating everything. So my question is what is the simplest/easiest way to wash/remove that crap? I have a new cub cadet filter for it when it goes back together.

I recently picked up a 129 to use as a spare parts machine for my 149s. After messing around with it for a little while I realized it could be a runner with just some TLC, well a good amount of TLC. Regardless I'm not willing to turn a runner into scrap or a pile of parts. The hydro cover plate had some serious gasket leakage so I got a new one. I saw the previous users had seriously over tightened the cover bolts trying to stop the leakage and in so doing bent the cover at the bolt holes. In prepping for installation of the new gasket I see the inside of the housing has a lot of the old hydro fluid gel coating everything. So my question is what is the simplest/easiest way to wash/remove that crap? I have a new cub cadet filter for it when it goes back together.
That goop is Hy-Tran doing it's job. Wipe it out best ya can, then take diesel fuel and a paint brush to clean up the remainder. Wipe it out again and fill it up with Hy-Tran and go.

Also check the length of your bolts.There is two different lengths depending if they go thru the hitch.If you interchange them they possibly will bottom out or break or strip.The bolts may be replaced and not measured carefully.Another situation where you let the access plate,gasket with light sealant and proper bolts and to the correct torque work as designed.Its worked for years,just another situation where a bigger,longer wrench is the answer.No need for impact on this.

I bad,I meant, don't over torque the bolts by any method.After a good cleanig,you could do an early filter change.Take the old one and carefully cut open and exam.They are a tough system.You should be good to go.

Flatten the rear cover plate around the bolt holes as much as possible before replacing it. The bolts can warp the plate if over tightened.

I've already got the cover straightened and have the right length bolts so I am in good shape that way. Now if I could wiggle my nose and have the hydro gel disappear I'd be all set.

Latest posts

Back