• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Charging issues

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing to keep in mind is that most 'Delco' style regulators that I have worked with are adjustable. I am however, at a loss to tell you how to adjust yours. I recall I had at least one that would not work right out of the box and needed one set of the contacts moved closer together.
Regulators do not charge like alternators do either. When they work right, they are happy just keeping the charging voltage at or just above the battery voltage even when they are working correctly. That is why most generator systems have an ammeter rather than a volt meter to monitor them. The ammeter tells whether current is flowing to (charging) the battery or flowing from (draining) the battery.

Another thing that came to mind: Those regulators need a good ground through their mounts. On most CCs there are 2 or 3 bolted together joints between them and the negative battery cable.

It might be a good idea to try a wire from the battery negative post to the regulator mount, the one that will have a ground strap welded from the regulator case to it, as I assume yours has the rubber dampers on the mounts.

Ok new s/g is installed new voltage regulator is in stalled how do I check for charge I’m attaching the wiring diagram I have let me know

Attachments

• AE81398D-0F4D-4765-8399-FB6467C4B3D7.png
    AE81398D-0F4D-4765-8399-FB6467C4B3D7.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 284
There are a couple of ways to check it. If you have a volt meeter an easy way is to measure the batteies voltage with the switch off. If the battery is fully charged it should measure about 13.2 volts DC. Start the tractor and with it running and lights off, measure it again. The new voltage with the tractor running should slightly be higer. Hope that helps.

An additional thought. If you bought a new voltage regulator it's possible that the terminals are not the same for the old to the new. I think it's the "field" that was moved. This happened to several months back and threw me for a loop. There may be a old entry on this, from when I got help here (or it might have been in a different cub forum).

Back