• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

charging issue w/a '71 108

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkuik

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Randy Kuik
my son's 108 does not charge. have done some diagnosis of it. starter/generator (S/G) starts the unit fine. ammeter when running is on the discharge side of 0, but the top wire on the regulator is gone. verified wiring, all the wiring is correctly placed on the ammeter, starter solenoid & F terminal on the S/G. so took regulator off. 3 terminals on the side and 1 on bottom. terminals on the regulator are F, BAT, L & i believe the bottom one is ground. the wire from the F on the S/G was on the bottom which i believe is the ground. the wire for BAT that goes to the ammeter was on the F on the regulator and the wire for the cranking side of the solenoid was on the BAT on the regulator and the "L" on the regulator had no wire hooked up. all this unless the 1_8/9 service manual i have has on error on the wire diagram. i knew there has to be 3 wires hooked to the side of regulator. i removed it and believe the connection under the regulator is for ground and believe there was something wrong with the Field wire connected to it. i took the cover off the regulator and the one breaker point set is fried, so i know we need a regulator. what is cannot confirm after reading the Delco Remy IMG-150 service bulletin is how to simple test the generator if it will generate electricity or just be a starter motor. AKA, do we need just a regulator or do we need a regulator and S/G? when i put the test light on the "F" terminal of the S/G, the light would not light. the "A" would light when cranking which would be correct. the "F" would light only when cranking, went out when released the key switch.

Voltage regulator: F = Field, B = Battery, L = Load, G = Generator. There is a 4 wire w/ground and a 3 wire w/ground V/R. The 4 wire goes on the O and 70/100 cubs, and the 3 wire goes on the 1x2/3 to 1x8/9 series.
On the 108, B goes to the neg. side of the charge indicator, G goes to the solenoid along with the A terminal wire from the S/G, and F goes to the F on the S/G.
Roland's fancy colored wiring diagrams will help determine the correct wiring, and I think Matt G posted an easy S/G test in the FAQ's also.
Hope this helps.

The newer regulators have a different location for the battery and ground so you have identify the terminals and the wires by function rather than location .

thanks Marty & Brian. i know now the wires are on the tractor correctly, i believe the previous owner put the wires on the the V/R incorrectly. So, how do I determine if we need a V/R or V/R and S/G? Is there away to test the charging side of the S/G w/o a V/R?

Is there away to test the charging side of the S/G w/o a V/R?

Temporarily ground the "F" terminal on the S/G while the engine is running at full throttle. This should peg the ammeter to the charge side. If it does not, the field coils are bad in the S/G. (Or the ammeter is bad :) )

Since you have said that the ammeter works . With the engine running. Take a jumper wire and momentarily ground the field terminal. If the charge side of the starter is ok it will show maximum charge. Do not do this very long as it will over heat the generator. Then you will be looking at

Back