• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Champion generators, any good?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the 5.5 Honda in a power washer, the pump failed after about twenty years due to operator error. I gave the motor to a neighbor to power his kids go cart a couple years ago, it's still going strong.

No experience with generators except for the 2500 watt unit in my camper which has it's limitations as to portability as you might imagine.

Found a Champion unit w/80 hrs, wheels/handle kit and cover, New never used 25ft 30amp Rv generator cord with a 125v twist lock on one end and a triple multiplug/multiplex on the other end.
Seller claims they used it one weekend and bought it new for $400 and asking $385

What say you guys?
Thanks!

View attachment 150894
I’m stuck between this and the predator , which ever is the quietist

Dave, personally I think Honda does very good on quality..3000 output and you're only planning on using 1 tool at a time..If it's a homeowner(less use) go for it ...if it's been used for construction co. ask a lot of questions....most I have worked on have had carb issues from nonuse...that's a so what in my book...it does look clean..

Looking at another unit near me.
It's a Westinghouse WGendfv dual fuel unit.'
Never ran, oil is not even in it. 2 years old so I bet the warranty could not be registered now, even with the receipt.
Asking $425. Price new, now is $649
Thinking of offering $400, been listed for 15 weeks now

Saw this beast at a soccer tournament this past weekend in Wichita. It was powering the merchandise trailer/tent, and it was impressively quiet. It was probably not inexpensive, however.
26E3E6CC-33FC-4F69-A677-B6059C3598D6.jpeg

Thast brand name comes with a serious upcharge.

There are some good generators out there, but $$$

Last edited:
Purchase one that produces clean electricity, less than 6% distortion. If you are looking to power any modern electronic equipment. Most of the cheap units have aluminum windings, not copper. Anyone own a Winco?

Looking at another unit near me.
It's a Westinghouse WGendfv dual fuel unit.'
Never ran, oil is not even in it. 2 years old so I bet the warranty could not be registered now, even with the receipt.
Asking $425. Price new, now is $649
Thinking of offering $400, been listed for 15 weeks now
Dave I have a dual fuel unit and abit of advise if you get it is to use a 100lb tank for lp...the smaller tanks tend to freeze up for some reason.

I had a couple champion generators bought all used non running changed oil cleaned carbs, used them awhile then sold them after they sat in my way long enough to get sick of moving them. This was all one at a time not all at once. For cheap or used they're decent. But if you have the means I'd try and spend a bit more in a Honda. But then again does that even matter anymore since the champions are just a Honda clone?

You're very welcome, I didn't really have any issues with any, just the normal dirty carb check valves and they worked. Sometimes if they sit too long you need to jump them with a drill to excite them but all well worth it on cheap or freebies.

I have a Generac that I bought in 2002. It's the 7KW model.
It failed under warranty, ran fine, no output.
It's been great ever since.

Over time I discovered it would power the entire house backfed from my workshop.
It burns about a gallon an hour, most of the outages here are 2 to 4 hours, probably 1 a year.

My only complaint is the pneumatic tires, always flat when i needed it.
I replaced them with some Harbor Freight solids.

Back