• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

CH18S Muffler Shield Part# Needed

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcahoy

displayname
Randy Cahoy
Guys,
I have a 2072 that someone has put a CH18S in with the specs as follows:
SPECS: 62588
Serial: 3217003501

The heat shield that goes on the muffler is missing and it seems to cause the engine to overheat without it.

Does anyone have the correct part number I need for the heat shield that goes on the muffler that directs the heat forward rather than back onto the engine?

Thanks!
298529.jpg

Randy C.
It's in the Parts Look Up at the top of the page.
298531.jpg

#4 is PN/ 703-1470
#7 is PN/ 703-0180
Both are NLA, so your gonna have to put a want ad in the Off Topic Classifieds.

Neither of those are going to fit since he has a Command engine in it.

Randy, you are probably going to be on your own for a heat shield. The heat shield from a 'cyclops' tractor that had the same engine, like an 1864, might work, but you will probably have to make something.

You know, I thought when I saw that stuff, that it looked just like the 782 shields.
So I guess it's time to tell Cub that they need to change another pic, LOL

No, the drawing you posted is correct, but it doesn't matter because his 2072 doesn't have the original engine in it anymore ;)

My guess is that I will need the muffler heat shield that works with this engine, and I have yet to be able to determine exactly what the engine originally came out of. Could the engine be from a 2183, 2184, 2185 or 2186?

on those models the muffler is not on the front of the engine like it is on for say the 1864 I have both a 1864 and a 2185 both with the same engine and the 2185's muffler is down in front of the front axle and pto not up top and no shield up top to direct the air flow never have had a overheating problem either

Randy Cahoy- did you find the heat shield you were looking for? if so where - I am also looking for the same parts.
thanks- pete

Pete,
No, still no heat shield. Honestly, I'm not sure the part numbers I listed will even work. I've been told that you want to order the heat shield that matches the tractor model you have, so in my case, 2072. Even though someone swapped a Twin CH18S in this tractor. I have a feeling I will have to adapt the one I have listed to make it work.

If someone has one as outlined below, I'm still in need.

In case this wasn't clear before, you basically have two options:

-Buy an 1864 shroud and modify it to fit if necessary
-Buy some sheetmetal and fabricate your own shroud

A stock 2072 heat shield is unlikely to fit at all. Some pictures of the muffer and engine installation on your tractor would really help figure out what might work for you.

RANDY, PATTEN ACRES HAS SOME OF THE PARTS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, I JUST BOUGHT A SET

That would be a 1863 or 1864 tractor spec, look up the heart shield on the CC parts access in the color boxes at the top of the home page here. That was a unique to CC muffler and heat shield if I recall correctly. The muffler is more narrow than a standard Kohler muffler and may have been sourced by CC from their vendors. I know that they often do that beginning with the Command series engines.

Yup, searched the Kohler parts info and that muffler and associated parts did not come with the engine; MTD/CC supplied the muffler stuff. Just contact a CC dealer and have him search for it under the tractor models 1863 or 1864.

Here is the 1864 muffler stuff:

299488.gif

Unfortunately it is NLA from Cub, they are getting terrible about parts for these 1990's tractors!!

RANDY, PATTON ACRES SOLD ME THE PARTS YOU NEED FOR $50.OO THAT INCLUDED SHIPPING- SAME AS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, YOU SHOULD CALL THEM!

Back