• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

CC 682 - My latest repair job

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
I actually did some trunion work on this unit 5 years ago. The owner, Brad, called and said he had recently taken it elsewhere to have some work done and it stayed for 3 months...and the problems weren't fixed. His father actually owns the tractor and had the paperwork from when I worked on it so he gave me a call and here it is. He says there was smoke coming from the front when mowing. I asked if he had checked the idlers in the mule drive and he says, "what's a mule drive?". The Briggs needs an attitude adjustment as well...probably a tune up. The main complaint was the mowing deck, a 44GT. He said he ran over a green stick that got lodged under the deck. He had no idea if it bent a blade or not but it didn't act the same afterwards. Oh, and when we went to look at the engine while they were here the hood just came off. The middle bolt was missing and the side bolts were loose. They were lucky it didn't end up in someones windshield while bringing it here.

317098.jpg

Also, I would like to date this tractor but it is CCC. The serial number is 205 0584 U 706286. I'm not familiar with how to date these red things after '81. I went through the FAQs but found no CCC numbers. And one last thing, the axle tubes are aluminum but the rear end is cast. Splain that one Lucy! I remember hearing something of how CCC used IH parts for a while after they acquired the Lawn/Garden tractor business so I'm assuming that has something to do with it.

Wayne, wow, some people just shouldn't have access to power equipment... I believe the change over to aluminum axle tubes occurred during the Quiet line production.

Kraig is correct, AL axle tubes was late QL production and all of the IH 82 series production....then some of the early MTD production. Once they used up the CI rear ends, it switched to the die cast AL transaxle.

Briggs in a 682??? Must be a repower, because it should have a KT17-I.......KT17-II or Mag18 would have been the factory replacement engine.

Looks like a fairly clean example, with all of the parts there.....late model replacement deck skin is a plus!

My bad Steve. It's a Kohler 17. And, of course, it says it right on the air cleaner. I don't think I've ever dealt with the engine...just the trunion and linkage. Plus Brad said it was a Briggs and that's where I got it from. I should have known though. I'm just not a red cub kind of guy.

Anyway, how do I find the correct age of this unit? I'd bet Myron put it out there somewhere.

It ought to be a quick fix or at least easy. I rarely get decks to work on.

Bill-

Thanks for the input. Can you determine the month as well? Where is this info?

Charlie, that listing only goes up to 1981 and they are asking for production listing dates for 1982 and beyond.
happy.gif

Charlie-

How does one determine vintage when it's not on the page you post. I have had and used that page for a while now with my yellow and whites. I see the last entry as April, '81. Bill stated it was made in '82 and I would like to know the month as well plus where to get this info for future reference.

Thanks Bill.

I'm willing to bet that monthly production information is out there somewhere. This might be another reason we miss enthusiast like Myron Bounds.

Wayne S.
I have up to around 2010 from Cub Cadet, but getting through that mess has been a real PITA. Since there's 3 variations of Mfg. Dates that Cub still has not sorted out and given anyone updates on.
Like them It's just not a high priority for me to spend the time to sift through it all.
Maybe one day or month when I get bored, LOL

As I've stated before, I'm not a red cub kind of guy so my knowledge of these twin cylinder engines is limited. The 682 has a KT17S engine and the front seal is shot. The owner complained of smoke coming from the front of the tractor while mowing so the first thing I did was remove the deck and inspected everything including the mule drive idlers. I found nothing remarkable so the smoke almost has to be coming from the pto (???). It's awful oily all around the back side of the pto plus the mule drive has to be removed for cleaning it's so oily.

Is this something that happens with these twins should the front main fail?

Yes. It'll sling the oil around the tin enclosure and make a mess, and if it's hot it'll smoke some like you describe.

Thanks Brian, I figured it had to be that. The pto belt is even oily. I got the pto off today and it was nasty all the way through.

I think this is going to be another one of those jobs that grows a bit. Today I found the fuel pump leaking and my Kohler guy said no kits were available. You have to buy the $110 pump.

I think those KT pumps are available from the aftermarket but I have not used one myself so I can't comment on whether they are quality pumps or not. Maybe someone else here is more familiar.

Both my 782 and 1872 have had aftermarket ($35) fuel pumps on them for several years. Another option is an electric fuel pump.

If this were my tractor I'd probably opt for the aftermarket treatment but when I do work for other people I always go back with Kohler parts.

Another question...should I try and remove all of the loose "epoxy" or should I just fill in the holes here.

317260.jpg

I did one a couple of years ago but the coating fell off. It's still in operation and working fine.

Back