• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

CC 1450 S/N 205066OU604956 return to operation

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the starter apart cleaned up the insides a little
23B5598F-517D-4C56-87C0-B77C7BCA1D0D.jpeg

Shined up the commutator on the little lathe
A25F761C-1AF5-4B31-83D2-E3656BDE4E1C.jpeg

38E939CC-6C5B-4857-8C98-0DD291AF118A.jpeg

Also removed and replaced the rear crankshaft seal. Anyone know how deep the seal is supposed to?
C657550B-60AD-4FFE-9BF0-D4FA9DE12D1D.jpeg

5F749A01-D7F6-4D85-A0B3-50F4B8899132.jpeg

James - the seal is supposed to be flush, which is what I think you did.

What happened with the hour meter? Does it work?

Things look like they are coming along nicely with the 1450. What's next?

James - the seal is supposed to be flush, which is what I think you did.

What happened with the hour meter? Does it work?

Things look like they are coming along nicely with the 1450. What's next?
The hour meter I believe I’m going to bring that to work with me and hook it up to a dc power supply. Or I could hot wire it to a car battery.
The rest of the tractor is worked on as time and parts allow.

If I’m looking at this correctly it appears I should be following the “battery” installation and that appears to be a full crank seal width recessed into that bore.

James and David - this is exactly why I don't like the Kohler Engine Service Manual. Although it's often nice to have for some items/issues it is also confusing and in this case I believe some of the details are not correct for an IH Cub Cadet Kohler engine.

James is installing what Kohler refers to as the "rear" oil seal (PTO side of the engine) although James refers to it as the front seal since it's the front of the tractor. IH also calls it the front seal. IH refers to the rear seal as being on the bearing plate side of the engine. I'll clarify these details in my next message.

I believe the error in the Kohler manual above is where it states "Rear oil seal installation details are shown in figure 12-34" yet when you look at figure 12-34 it states these are "front" oil seal details, and the diagrams show various bearing plate configurations.

James - I believe you have your front oil seal installed flush and correctly. I wouldn't change anything.

Last edited:
I'm attaching page 1-22 from the IH Engine Service Manual GSS-1465-B. This page identifies installation details for the crankshaft oil seals. You will note IH refers to the front seal being located on the engine block side (this is the PTO side of the engine at the front of the tractor). IH refers to the rear seal being located on the bearing plate side of the engine. In both situation IH calls out replacement seals being installed "flush".
Kohler seals install for IH Kohler engines.jpg
Cover for GSS-1465-B IH Kohler Engine Service Manual.jpg

James - I see I made a slight misstatement in my 1st post above. I said you called it the front seal but I see you did call it the rear seal.
What I further stated is still correct. Kohler calls the seal you installed the rear seal. IH calls it the front seal. IH calls for the front and rear seal to be installed flush on the Kohler K-series single cylinder engines for IH Cub Cadets, as it shows on page 1-22 of the IH Engine Service Manual GSS 1465-B

Hour meter is working however it could use some cleaning and light lubrication. The mechanism works as long as you restart the regulator every time it stops. Pretty neat

Not much progress as of late. Started looking into the wiring found what appears to be a data tag on the harness itself. Of course it disintegrated when touched.
46103C01-5EF3-4AC4-813C-B3758B1D0630.jpeg

The head was also put back on and bolts correctly torqued to spec.
3C899FA2-8539-4567-A8A7-787BDD750C5F.jpeg

Also figuring out the choke and throttle cables.
2D7ACA92-AFB8-4D9F-AB3A-12CC5B1709D6.jpeg

Installing the PTO.
32552BB3-16F1-4A02-B1A0-69D113AB646A.jpeg

Also what am I missing for the rear hitch or attachment? I’m assuming that’s what the white upper piece is
C3CFCAD6-6D0E-4976-8B7D-4CDFE911DB90.jpeg

Back