• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

CC 1450 S/N 205066OU604956 return to operation

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit more progress on the head
B061A767-6338-4225-82C2-F340DE685237.jpeg

Close but no cigar yet.
When disassembling I noticed some head bolts were loose. That area by the spark plug hole had been loose enough that the head was beating itself up on the fire ring of the head gasket. I can run my finger nail over it and feel the defect so back to working on it some more.

When disassembling I noticed some head bolts were loose. That area by the spark plug hole had been loose enough that the head was beating itself up on the fire ring of the head gasket. I can run my finger nail over it and feel the defect so back to working on it some more.
Yup, I'm sure you'll eventually get to the point the entire area where the gasket sits is bright and smooth, and then you'll be ready.

And then when you reinstall I'd definitely use a new original Kohler gasket (some aftermarket have been known to fall almost immediately). Torque the head in the sequence shown in the manual and, to the torque spec.

And then, don't forget to retorque in the same sequence once you run the engine for about 15-20 minutes. Those bolts have a habit of loosening whether they are new or used.

Last edited:
When sanding / polishing the gasket surface on the head, don't just go back and forth in a straight line. Make figure eights and zeros and also spin the head in your hand from time to time to try and prevent adding in a pattern and removing to much from any one spot. HTH

Prolly
Didja
Sumptin
People who spell words that way shouldn't be taken seriously, are a minor irritation, probably misspell other words and that lead to a confusing and sometimes misunderstood post when you have to try to translate to their words to the English language. :errrr:

Last edited:
When sanding / polishing the gasket surface on the head, don't just go back and forth in a straight line. Make figure eights and zeros and also spin the head in your hand from time to time to try and prevent adding in a pattern and removing to much from any one spot. HTH
You are absolutely right figure 8’s all the way

People who spell words that way shouldn't be taken seriously, are a minor irritation, probably misspell other words and that lead to a confusing and sometimes misunderstood post when you have to try to translate to their words to the English language. :errrr:
JD - hmmm, I don't think those are mis-spellings as you're implying. Those correctly spelled words are known as "lingo". Our members are in one big country (actually one big world) and we have all sorts of lingos to understand. That's part of why I suggested a Glossary in the FAQs, or maybe even a special thread. :fencing:

Gol dern it Mike - he already mentioned figure 8's about 3 pages back. You probably should'a mentioned no school buses :wedgie:

You might want to switch to a finer grit sandpaper also. Looks like grit swirl marks on the metal. ;)

Dang it Harry.. he may have mentioned it, but the pattern he's scratching in sure don't look right!! Pay attention Now!
Ya, you're right. Only using my phone to look but I see a lot of straight lines. Don't know how you get those going in figure 8's. :scratchhead:

Just about there. Needs just a little more. Try going in circles one direction then the other and very litely since I still see some straight lines. And use lighter grit paper if you didn't already.

In case someone wanted to know what the inside of these hour meters look like
James - yes we have seen inside them before, but the one we saw also had the big IH emblem above the yellow 600 and below the red 60 on the clock face. They probably don't work any better since they still have the Borg name on the bottom of the face, but they look just a little nicer on the tractor.
So, yours looks pretty good but does it work?

Back