• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

CC 1450 S/N 205066OU604956 return to operation

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you are calling a voltage regulator is actually a rectifier. It is used on the stator engines with a Bendix drive starter. VR is only for engines with the starter generator.

I don't think the resistor belongs in there. You may have an aftermarket coil. If you have to buy a new coil, consider Dave Kirk's (Kirk Engines) Bosch Blue coil from his sponsor box above (reload the page if his is not visible).

What you are calling a voltage regulator is actually a rectifier. It is used on the stator engines with a Bendix drive starter. VR is only for engines with the starter generator.

I don't think the resistor belongs in there. You may have an aftermarket coil. If you have to buy a new coil, consider Dave Kirk's (Kirk Engines) Bosch Blue coil from his sponsor box above (reload the page if his is not visible).
Ya, I knew that about the rectifier but I called it the V/R thingamajigy because Roland's fancy wiring diagram also called it a V/R.

(James - just noticed your toes are exposed and you have a bag of tools hovering by. Might want to cover those darlings up to avoid pain and blackening damage. Safety first is one of our mottoes.) :shame:

If it’s not a voltage regulator how is voltage regulated? Is it just a constant voltage?

Ya, I knew that about the rectifier but I called it the V/R thingamajigy because Roland's fancy wiring diagram also called it a V/R.

(James - just noticed your toes are exposed and you have a bag of tools hovering by. Might want to cover those darlings up to avoid pain and blackening damage. Safety first is one of our mottoes.) :shame:
I can’t stand shoes. Unfortunately I do know the consequences of not wearing shoes when I should have probably been wearing shoes.

Time to check how flat this head is
6E30F757-8958-4D6B-9603-A1623485D912.jpeg

After the first 100 figure 8’s
3DE44123-EF93-464D-ADDF-4F76AD194298.jpeg

The rectifier changes the ac voltage (more than 12 volts) to 12 volts dc so yes it is a voltage regulator. the two outside terminals are ac from the stator the center one is the 12 volt dc out. one thing to know is that the center terminal has to see battery voltage before it will charge. many times the ignition switch will fail and you think the regulator is not working.

Hahaha - what about some of the good acronyms? Pretty certain we got some good ones of those. No Glossary in the FAQs tho.

The rectifier changes the ac voltage (more than 12 volts) to 12 volts dc so yes it is a voltage regulator. the two outside terminals are ac from the stator the center one is the 12 volt dc out. one thing to know is that the center terminal has to see battery voltage before it will charge. many times the ignition switch will fail and you think the regulator is not working.

More like converts ~28V AC to ~14V DC. 12V DC output would not be enough to charge the battery.

What's up with all those scratches on the head surface? At least it looks like scratches.

Back