• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cc 104 cranks but won't start

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might as well lap the valves while you have the head off, as well. Otherwise, you may find yourself taking the head off again later when you find out the valves aren't sealing.

I found out the head is not flat. It rocks a little on a flat surface. The recommended repair i understand would be machining it with a fly cutter. Anyone have any luck manually sanding the head on a piece of sand paper glued to a piece of glass? When is the head beyond repair?

Lots of us have flattened a head with a thick piece of glass and wet/dry sandpaper. If it's really bad, I'd start with 120 grit and finish with 220. Use some water, as it makes the sandpaper last a lot longer. I don't recall ever seeing one that was warped so bad that it could not be fixed, but I suppose it is possible.

Should not be a problem once the head is indicated and secured in a vice or to the table.
I have several heads that are ruined from blown gaskets and hope to try my hand at that one of these days.

Sorry this update has been a long time coming. I actually found the missing head bolt laying on the frame but I have no idea why it was taken out. The good news is that after cleaning everything up and grinding the head the engine fires up really well. I even added a little fresh paint to some of the parts I took off. I was not able to do a compression check on it. I have a tester but I think I would need to do a leak down test?? because of the compression relief?? Maybe someone has some pointers on that.
Next project is to add a 2'' ball hitch higher up on the back so that I can move my empty utility trailer. Has anyone done this before to a 104?

Attachments

• 2020-11-21 14.02.21.jpg
    2020-11-21 14.02.21.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 273
  • 2020-11-21 14.02.30.jpg
    2020-11-21 14.02.30.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 279

Latest posts

Back